| 𝟬𝟯 |

✿

He tore the spear out of the last Mitachurl, stepping back with a huff as it let out a painful cry. He watched as it disintegrated, it's remains blowing away with the breeze.

Xiao winced suddenly, panting heavily. Fighting was nothing to him — just a daily task he must complete. Some days, the pain spirals out of control, and he triumphs through the lands, slaughtering every demon in sight.

It was one of those days.

But on this particular day, he couldn't handle it.

His head grew foggy — their screams and cries growing louder as he began trudging through the night, footsteps growing heavier with each step.

He doesn't know where to go.

He stumbles into a stream as his vision grows bleary, cold water seeping into the ankles of his pants. The fabric clings to his skin, but he doesn't feel the chills through the overwhelming anguish that clouds his mind.

The deafening croak of a frog, crickets chirping in the night, the unforeseen peal of wind chimes —  he clenches his teeth as the sounds ring in his ears. Trees and branches of leaves loom overhead, he continues to limp along a unknown path.

Hate flooded his senses and he fell victim to the agony. Fireflies flee from long reeds of grass as he collapsed in the field of flowers, hands pressed against his head, whimpering between gasps and heavy breathing.

The golden glow from the lighting bugs dot his blurred vision as he fumbled with the handle of his spear.

He's longed for salvation, yet he believed he was undeserving of the freedom — the relief from the grasp of darkness.

But in that moment, it didn't matter what he believed.

The sharp blade hovered over his stomach, tip grazing against the flesh as he shut his eyes.

Though the pain stops before he's able to end it.

He hesitated, weakly drawing the polearm back at the nostalgic sound.

A flute.

The sweet melody soothes him, breathing slowing pace. His once tense muscles relax against the soft grass, gradually lulling him to sleep.

With it, the faint creak of a door and a worried voice. Through his sleep, he hears footsteps pad across the forest floor, drawing closer until a hand gently brushes against the side of his neck.

He's too exhausted to care.

She keeps her hand there for a moment, hopeful for the response of a steady pulse. She sighs in relief when she feels it, steadily attempting to lift the adeptus off the ground, pulling his arm over her shoulder.

— ✿ —

Xiao stirs as a crisp breeze caresses his face, amber eyes fluttering open as a hand reaches up to touch the damp towel on his forehead. The floral quilt slides down slightly as he rises in the bed, revealing his shirtless figure. He shoves it aside and examines the white bandages wrapped around his torso and arms, hints of dry blood tainting the gauze.