The Truth

I woke up and opened my eyes.

At least, I tried to open my eyes. But it wouldn't work.

I felt like they were opening but everything was black.

I panicked.

"Hello?!" I shout. "Someone help!" There was a beeping to my left that got faster and faster, matching my heartbeat's pace perfectly.

"Hello?!" I shouted again. There were distant rustles and then a voice.

"Kendall?" It was a woman's voice.

"Why can't I see you?!" I started trying to sit up but a stab of pain shot through my shoulder.

"Kendall, sweetie, I need you to settle down." Slowly, I calmed down. "Kendall," she repeated. "I'm going to ask you a couple questions, okay?"

I felt mylelf nod.

"Can you tell me how old you are?"

"17. I was born November 4.'

"What's your full name?"

"Kendall Bri Jax. Can you tell me why I can't see you now?" I felt all around me, trying to feel something that would give me a clue to where I was.

"Where do you live?" She asked, ignoring my question.

"A small town in California."

"What's your best friends name?"

I was getting impatient. "Ashton. Please, just tell me!"

"I will, just let me run a few tests, okay? Then I'll explain everything."

I lay there as more voices filled the room and needles pricked at my veins. A strong hand slipped into mine and a deep male voice filled my head.

"Kendall? I'm Doctor James."

"Nice to meet you." At this point, I wasn't worried about how rude or impatient I sounded; I wanted answers. "Are you here to tell me what's wrong?"

"Yes ma'am. But first, can you tell me what happened?"

What does he mean 'what happened'? That's what I've been asking him--

Then a huge rush ran through my brain. As a headache formed, I remembered everything. The restaurant. The smiles. The crash. Mom, Dad, Austin.

"Are they okay?!" I shouted, trying to sit up but being stopped by my shoulder again.

"Kendall... I need you to tell me what happened." He pressed.

"We were driving; there were headlights." My breathing started getting rapid as my brain started running through scenarios. "The windshield caved in. Austin flew forward--" I started hyperventilating.

I heard them try to calm me down, but it was strange. Like they were in another world. Their voices just echoed in my head. My eyes drifted shut and the noises faded away completely.

~~~~~

When I woke up, I automatically opened my eyes. The blackness was a little lighter today. There was a tint to it. I lifted my hands to my eyes, thinking if I rubbed them, it would make all the darkness go away.

"She's awake." I heard a familiar voice say. "Goodmorning, sweetie."

My eyebrows knitted together as I tried to place the voice.

"It's your favorite grandma in the world." I pushed away the anger and confusion I had been feeling and smiled.

"Hey MamaKay."

"Don't forget me!" A deeper voice piped in, making me lightly laugh.

"Hey Grandaddy."

I felt my grandmother's familiar wrinkly hand tightly grip mine. "How are you feeling?" She quizzed.

I sighed. Let's just get right to the point. "Am I blind?"

I heard a deep sigh and felt my hand being squeezed.

"Right now?... Yes." She paused as everything washed over me. She cleared her throat, trying to hold back tears and continued. "The doctors said it's only temporary. With time, you'll get most of your vision back."

Most?

"What about Mom and Dad? And Austin?"

I heard a sniffle.

"They--" She began. She squeezed my hand and slipped out of my grasp. I felt Grandaddy's big hand take it's place. He cleared his throat as I heard slight sobs.

"Kendall... your mother and father... they, uh... they were killed on impact." I heard his voice break on the last part.

I felt myself nod.

"And Austin?"

He paused. "He's in a coma right now. He didn't have his seat belt on and he hit his head on the chair."

I kept my voice steady. "When will he wake up?"

"They don't know."

That's when it all rushed over me.

My parents are gone.

My brother's in a coma.

And I'm blind.