"The Yule Ball." Said McGonagall as she appeared at the table. "Which, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak to you about, Potter."

McGonagall and Harry's step walk out into the great hall, "The Yule Ball, Professor?" Harry asked looking at her. 

"The three, well four -- to be the first to dance. It's traditional during the Triwizard Tournament for the host school to put on a Christmas ball. It is also traditional for the Dance?" 

"I'm not going to dance-" Harry spoke looking at the professor. 

McGonagall shook her head. "You have no choice Potter, you are in the tournament." 

"I have to bring a girl?" 

"I leave that decision up to you, Potter. You may bring Neville Longbottom if you desire. But know this: the House of Godric Gryffindor has a reputation as long as it is illustrious. It demands and receives the respect of the entire wizard world. No house has produced more witches and wizards of consequence. You stand upon the shoulders of giants, Potter. Shame yourself and you shame all who came before you ." 

Just then, a commotion is heard. Turning, Harry watches Seamus pelt Dean Thomas, McGonagall's face drops and goes after them. "okay, a date..." Harry uttered to himself as he walked back into the great hall. 

Right away the only person to catch his eye was Y/n. She was now sitting with Luna as the two talked about Christmas which was coming up and the ball happened to be on. 'She's your best friend, other than Ron, you can't just ask her to the ball...' Harry knew he wanted to go with Y/n.

Cho was a year older than he was; she was very pretty; she was a very goodQuidditch player and she was also very popular. Y/n on the other hand was older than Harry; beautiful to Harry; She didn't get Quidditch, she was known for messing up people's names, But she wouldn't be mean or rude to anyone or anything.

Y/n walked back over to Hermione and Ron as Harry walked over to them acting like he didn't fancy his friend even a little bit.

Harry had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas; he always did, of course, because the alternative was usually going back to Privet Drive, but he had always been very much in the minority before now.

This year, however, everyone in the fourth year and above seemed to be staying, and they all seemed to Harry to be obsessed with the coming ball — or at least all the girls were, and it was amazing how many girls Hogwarts suddenly seemed to hold; he had never quite noticed that before. 

Girls giggling and whispering in the corridors, girls shrieking with laughter as boys passed them, girls excitedly comparing notes on what they were going to wear on Christmas night. "Why do they have to move in packs?" Harry asked Ron as a dozen or so girls walked past them, sniggering and staring at Harry. "How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?" 

"Lasso one?" Ron suggested. "Got any idea who you're going to try?" 

Harry didn't say anything, as Y/n and Hermione both walked in from the corridor. "It should be fun, date or none.." Y/n smiled not caring if she had a date or not. 

"Yeah-" Hermione agreed with her. 

"Listen, you're not going to have any trouble. You're a champion. You've just beaten a Hungarian Horntail. I bet they'll be queuing up to go with you." In tribute to their recently repaired friendship, Ron had kept the bitterness in his voice to a bare minimum. 

Moreover, to Harry's amazement, he turned out to be quite right. A curly-haired third-year Hufflepuff girl to whom Harry had never spoken in his life asked him to go to the ball with her the very next day.