𝑰𝑰𝑰. Troubled Youth.

CUPID's CURSE!       /         VOL i

three  ━━━━━━━ troubled youth.

           Class hadn't yet started and already Loretta was perhaps the only one seated at a table.

In huddled groups scattered around the room, hums of casual and light-hearted chatter from students fills the classroom. Each pure reunion is told in the wistful sight of a smile, in the affectionate touch of a long, awaited hug. Loretta found the sight endearing. 

Loretta perhaps seemed like the only friendless person in the learning space — only because Rebeka had ran off to use the bathroom. She didn't mind at first, but with the boldly curious stares and hushed whispers she couldn't deny that the undivided attention was beginning to bother her. Loretta wasn't one to daringly confront a group of snide girls, not like her sister anyways. Her best solution in situations like this is to simply ignore them. Hence why her earphones are in, and the faint scratching of doodles and sketches on a scrap piece of paper falls to a low hum. 

She hadn't even realised she'd zoned out. That is until a resounding bang of two hands slamming itself on her desk causes her to let out a small shriek. 

      "Christian?!" Her eyes widen. "Oh my g — Hi!" She exclaims, rising instantly to bring the cheeky teenager into a tight embrace. In her embrace, Christian feels her body press in warmly, letting his muscles become loose for perhaps the first in a long time. With the intensely grim secrets that burdens him, his mind, in that moment, was at utter peace. "What — I had no idea you studied here." She pulls away just enough to meet his caramel toned eyes, but still ensuring her arms were somewhat around him. 

     "Well, after San Esteban collapsed —"

     "Oh yeah." Loretta frowns. 

     "Like, a year ago, three of us luckily were gifted scholarships here."  

     "So, you're telling me, they picked you?" Loretta teases. She stumbles a little as he jabs her forearm. With the morning they've both had it felt so freeing and good to crack a genuine smile.

Christian Varela had been Loretta's earliest friend. A bonding of souls of which started at the mere age of seven. After residing in the same neighbourhood for a while, it's safe to say the pair had cynical impressions of the other — with him acknowledged as the hooligan and her as the strange loner — that over time, the pair would develop a platonic, close relationship. Other than Rebeka, Christian had been the only one Little Loretta sensed that she could trust entirely — perhaps it had something to do with the youthful boy's goofy and comical personality or even in spite of bad situations he never failed to lift her spirits. 

     "Sit, sit," Loretta beams in quiet eagerness. Taking the near by seat, Christian imitates Loretta in rotating so his entire body was facing her. Folding one leg under the other, Loretta wears a jovial, tiny grin, whilst allowing her eyes to roam his boyish features.