#6 Ego

> > > > > > >

•  Ego  •

< < < < < < <

As the three gentlemen exited his office, Shivay huffed, taking a breathe in peace. The meeting wasn’t for a business proposal. It was for settling a long running fued. But his rivals had a long list of demands before settling. Shivay refused. He didn’t need to council with his advisors to make that call. They were asking two much in a two day deal. So that was done.

When he wasn’t kicking his rival companies, he thought of calling Annika. She’d be home mostly cooking something up or out with her friends. But she made sure, she supervised his meals.

It was a Thursday afternoon, and if he’d calculated correctly, she had zero plans today.
So he picked up his phone and called her. But she wasn’t picking up.

He dialled again, it rang but she did not pick up. Normally he'd wait, he would leave it. But today, it felt weird. Something did not feel right. So he thought of leaving a message. When he started typing, “Hey babe,” he noticed her online.

Maybe she’s busy. He exhaled, sending the message, “Hey babe, call me when you’re done.”

And went back to his laptop. One hour. Two hours. Three.

Nothing. No response. Shivay checked his phone in panic. She had left the message on seen.

“Annika never leaves a message on seen. She always replies with something. Even when she’s upset,” he thought. Now Shivay knew for sure something was wrong.

He called the guard next second, and he informed that he had seen nothing out of the ordinary. Annika was still at home according to him. Shivay wanted to relax at that but he also wanted to check in. But he couldn’t ask the guard to. He just couldn’t be sure. So he decided to head home. He kept calling her, on his way out of the office, in the car, as he ordered the driver to drive faster.

But no one answered. Shivay’s heart was beating a mile a minute. When she didn’t pick up for the umpteenth time, he almost threw his phone away. But it rang before he could throw it.

“Annika?” He said, not checking the name. The name rolled out of his mouth so easy. It was the only name that existed for a long time.

Someone laughed, “So desperate Shivay,” a muffled voice spoke.

Shivay checked the ID finally, an unknown horror running through his veins.

Private number, it read.

He was silent for a moment, his brain connecting all the dots.

“Yes Shivay, it is exactly where your brain is heading.”

Shivay stared at the phone again. He had many enemies. He had made a lot of people mad. Not just with his ego but with his skill. But none who would kidnap his wife-

“What do you want?” Shivay’s voice was terse, straightforward. The kidnapper knew he had his complete attention. He could cut, play or dangle all he wished.

The voice laughed again, it was mechanical, like a voice changer had been used. Shivay considered calling the cops, but he couldn’t. It was Annika's life on the line here. In a way, it was his life on the line here.

“What. Do. You. Want.” Shivay repeated.

The voice cleared it’s throat, “If you think you can buy me, you’re horribly mistaken Mr.Oberoi. Money cant-,”

“Ofcourse it can. Everything can be bought, Name your price,” Shivay stated.

“See this is where you’re wrong,” he could hear the voice smiling, “Your wife is priceless. You surely know that right?”

Before shivay spoke, it spoke again, “Ofcourse you do. That’s why you’re willing to offer anything. It does not scare you does it? Losing everything against her?”

Shivay was losing his patience every second, but he had to hang on. His mask of polite seriousness was slipping, “If you know that, why are you wasting your time and balance? Me? I get, big entrepreneur, can waste a few dimes on a wasteful phone call. But you? I doubt it. You’re desperate, you have kidnapped someone’s wife?” Someone you shouldn’t have messed with in the first place, he didn’t add.

The voice laughed again, “Always answering a question with more questions. For one second, keep your ego aside.”

He wanted to blast this person. Blast him into space. But they were nearing the house. Just five more minutes till he reached Annika.

“Yes, it doesn’t scare me for a second.” He answered.

“Good. Lying never helped anyone.”

Shivay wasn’t lying before, just dodging. It worked wonders at his office. He wondered who this kidnapper was. Old or recent? An enemy of the Business or his family?

“I’m asking you for the last time, what do you want? Why have you kidnapped my wife?”

“I just want to play with you Shivay,” the voice said.

“Buy yourself some dolls then. Because I don’t play anymore.”

The voice chuckled lowly, and a hushing sound came,“This. This ego. Keep it aside and listen. I want you to film a video of you saying some thing I send you.”

Shivay was below his house now, he stepped out of the car, signalling the guard to follow him, “What things?”

“Sent. Check your phone,” it looked like the kidnapper ended the call but no, “I know you’re down Shivay. And if you try to come up, you won’t find her. So send me the video before you so much so think of stepping inside.”

Shivay drifted back with caution and almost bumped with the guard. He did not waste time to strategize, did not explain a thing to the guard. He simply read the message. It said:
“My name is Shivay Singh Oberoi. I run one of India's leading business industries. And I have a lot of ego. So much ego that sometimes I spoil other people’s plans due to this. I do what I want because what I decide is the right thing to do. I don’t care for anyone else other than me.” And then smile, it said.

He squinted his eyes as he read it, once again. It was like it was written by a child. He tried to call the number again, but the network was acting strange today. So he did it.

He wrote the message down on a piece of paper and started recording on his phone, “My name is-,”

And even as he said it, he knew it was true. Well at least some parts of it. Because at the end of the day, he was doing this for Annika. This was a ridiculous joke of a kidnapping. He thought the kidnapper did this for something substantial. Money. Shares. Land. But he just wanted a stupid video.

Shivay was not going to leave the leach. As soon as he sent the video, delivered or not, he marched in. The guard followed him. His heart began rushing again. Annika.

When he reached the door, he almost kicked it.

But it was open, just a slight push needed.

Shivay looked at the guard again and then turned. He walked very slowly, not making any sound. The living room was empty, and surprisingly clean. Not even Annika kind of messy. Instead of a break in, it looked like someone had cleaned it. Shivay was alarmed. It’s too clean….what if –

But he didn’t drool over it. He searched the kitchen and balcony but nothing. The guard stood awkwardly in the halls.

Then a muffled sound came from the bedroom, and Shivay leaped closer. The sounds became clearer. But they weren’t a man's.

Girls. Shivay froze. No. Then his eyes widened. He knew who was behind all this and he was bubbling with anger. He did not mind being loud anymore.

He pushed the door open and stood right there.
The girls lounged on the bed, Annika munching on a bowl of potato chips, Gauri writing something in a notebook and Bhavya typing on her phone.

They did not see Shivay as Bhavya said, “So bhabhi, what do you want to do next?”

“Hmm, Isn’t that enough?” she stared from bhavya to Gauri, “He must be so scared.”

Shivay softened a bit.

“Are didi but,” Gauri started.

“No Gauri. I know Shivay. He would be out of his mind right now. Let’s stop. This pranking business has gone far as such.”

Gauri nodded in reluctance, and Bhavya picked up the phone, “Bhabhi, he hasn’t called yet.”

Annika straightened, “I’ll call him wait.”

She dialled to ‘Billu ji'. It was ringing and they could hear it near. When they turned their heads towards the sound, they finally spotted Shivay leaning against the door.

Bhavya and Gauri's lips closed into a line and Annika began preparing her words, the phone still frozen near her ear. Shivay removed his mobile casually and picked up the call, staring right into Annika's eyes.

“Hi Shivay,” Annika uttered, standing up.
The other two, slipped from the bed, trying to blend in the curtains or melt into walls. They slowly moved to the sides, as Shivay cleared his throat.

“Sorry bade bhaiya,” they said together. Shivay gave them a deadly stare before turning to Annika. They both used this opportunity to slip out of the bedroom and close the door.
Annika’s mouth fell open, but she had no words to offer as Shivay walked further.

“Shivay, I- them- this- I,” she mumbled, walking backwards.

Shivay just kept walking closer and closer. His face was wrinkled with anger and worry. He kept walking until Annika hit the wall. She was practically caged between the wall and him.

“Look,” she said, “it was not my idea, they convinced me into it. I know you’re going to scold me. But I tried to lighten the prank up. But they wouldn’t listen.”

Shivay was quiet. Waiting for anything more.

“And?” he spoke.

“And I am sorry,” she whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“I almost- do you know what I thought?” he managed to speak, stepping away from her touch.

“I know. I know. I am really really sorry.”

Shivay thought the whole thing again, “Wow,” he clapped his hands, “You know how perfect your plan was. Voice changer? Using you as bait? Not answering my phone. Amazing. And the security guard? What did you give him to lie?”

“Nothing,” she spoke, wiping her forehead.

“Ofcourse,” Shivay was sweating too. But he knew why the guard was not involved. Because Gauri and Bhavya's visits were nothing out of the ordinary. They were here almost every week.

Shivay did not know when he started tearing up. He realized that when saw the guilt on Annika’s face. But he asked, “Why?”

“We just wanted to play with you Shivay,” she said, stepping ahead.

“No, why did you choose my ego?”

“What do you mean?” Annika was not expecting this question.

Shivay closed his eyes, as he spoke, “Do you think I would choose my respect and my ego over you?”

Annika was stunned, “No- I,”

“Then why Annika?” now he was crying, kneeling to the floor.

Annika held him when he didn’t have the strength to look up, “I am sorry, Shivay. I was just playing. I didn’t think,”

“Didn’t think what? That you’re valuable to me?”

“No Shivay-,”

“Because if you don’t till now, let me tell you,” Shivay cupped her face, “I know I’m too rude sometimes. And I act like a know it all. And I’m simply too much to take. And genuinely just an ass. But. . . You. . . You keep me grounded. You make me see what my heart is scared to feel. While you’re the one who makes me mad, you’re also the one that keeps me sane. So yes you’re the most valuable to me.”

Annika gazed into his eyes, a saline ocean reflecting unto her. She stared at him. She was aware of how much tadi her husband had. For some that might be a deal breaker. But that was one of the reasons, she had married him. Like humans were 70 percent water, Shivay was 70 percent ego. And here he was, ready to give it up for her. He continued, “If it were ever my ego and you, there would be no place for a doubt, forget the choice. It would always be you. Always you.”

That was it. Annika burst open in tears, and it was him who was cuddling her, consoling her. That was when they realized that both were filled with immense ego but more love and consideration for each other.

“I say I’m the best wife Shivay. But it is you and your stupid little antiques that make me love you so bad.”

Shivay smiled smug, “So what you’re saying is that I’m the best-husband.”

“No! I’m not saying that-,” she screamed but then softened, leaping in his chest, “but yes I’m saying exactly that.”

< • < • <

Okay! We've come so far, only three more left:

Counting stars ( sad alert )

The sickness

A confusing painting

*
See you day after tomorrow<3