iii

It all felt like a fever dream.. that summer day. I wanted so badly to wake up to the sound of my mom cooking and my dad searching for his hero costume. But unfortunately I wasn't greeted by either of those.

I woke up early this morning and left to the gym on my property. I figured that I'd get a good workout in and clear my mind before going to school. It's the first day after all. It's a new chapter in my life. A fresh start. At least that's what I wanted it to be.

My mind seemed to run faster than it usually would and I knew exactly what was the cause. My inheritance. In addition to the death of my parents I gained everything from the money to the cars, but I could care less about the wealth and assets that were given to me. What matters the most was that they left their agency to me. Me of all people. I may be their daughter, but I'm far from qualified to run a hero agency.

I mean, what am I even supposed to do? What if I ran their legacy to the ground? I can't even do much with this quirk of mine.

These were the thoughts that repeated themselves in my mind. They wouldn't shut up and I couldn't make them. At least not until Mary came in and disrupted my workout session.

"Miss L/n?"

I lost my footing and fell on the treadmill, getting pushed off immediately by the machinery itself.

"Fuck.." I muttered and got up, rubbing my arm.

"Miss L/n! Are you alright?!" Mary, my maid and live-in nanny, asked.

"Yes. I'm fine" I replied and limped a bit towards my phone to check the time. It was already 6:30am.

"Oh thank goodness. Your breakfast is ready, would you like me to prepare a bath?"

"That's not necessary, thank you though" I sent her a reassuring smile.

"Alright then, don't forget to take your medication"

I nodded and dismissed her back to the house. I grabbed my things before heading home myself.

My parents were very much involved in my life, but sometimes when they were caught up with work they had Mary take care of me. My parents had taken her in from the streets. She was a fifty year old woman who was thrown out by her own son. Originally my parents were going to leave her in the care of a nursing home, but they realized that someone had to care for me when they couldn't. So they offered her a job and she's been working for them ever since.

That's what I loved most about my parents. They took people in and gave them another chance. Their agency is made of heroes who have been shunned, turned away, and forgotten by society. My parents presented these heroes in a new light.. and I don't think I can ever do that. At least not as well as they did.

I entered my house and rushed up the stairs to take a quick shower before eating my breakfast. A little after I had finished eating I heard a knock on my front door. I shooed the other maids away as I went to open the door.

"Good morning L/n-san, are you ready to go to school?" Ueda asked.

"I thought I had to keep my identity a secret. Isn't this a bit too much?"

"I'll drop you off a little ways away from the entrance"

I nodded and went to grab my things before leaving my estate with Ueda. Ueda has worked as my parents' sidekick since they first built their office. Although he's older than my parents (pushing a little past his forties), he's still in great shape. As a matter of fact, he was the one who trained me all summer. And boy was it tough. Ueda's hero name, as I have stated before, is Sliman. His quirk is essentially slime or goo, whatever you prefer to call it. He can release slime from his hands and use it however he wants. Aside from being a hero, he's also a family man and a pretty good one at that.

"Are you excited?" Ueda asked as he drove us out of the neighborhood.

"I guess so" I replied, staring out the window.

"Have you heard from your cousin?"

"No"

Izuku had been out of reach for the whole summer. The last time that I saw him was at my parents' funeral, but besides from that, it seemed as if he had fallen off the face of the earth. I honestly don't blame him though; I was busy myself.

The rest of the ride was silent. Not much conversation was happening aside from the regular small talk. I grabbed my book bag once we arrived and exited the car. Before I could take another step Ueda called out my name.

"Y/n-san"

I turned to look at him. He never calls me by my first name. He leaned over to the passenger window, handing me a small jewelry box. I raised an eyebrow and hesitantly grabbed it. I opened the satin box to see a dainty white gem that hung from a silver chain.

"Ueda-san.. what is this?"

"I apologize for doing this without your permission, Y/n-san, but I took a bit of your parents' ashes and turned them into a necklace for you. So that they may be with you for every step of the way" Ueda said, his lips formed a small smile. "And don't worry about all these responsibilities yet, I will handle them all until you graduate. For now, just focus on being a kid"

I stared at him in shock. I felt my bottom lip tremble and tears build up in my eyes as I thanked him for the gift. Although he did this without my permission, it was very thoughtful of him. I couldn't be mad even if I tried.

"H-Have a good day at work, Ueda-san" I said and bowed at the man in the car, keeping my head down. I could see my tears dropping onto the pavement.

"Keep your head up Y/n-san. I will see you soon"

I stood up straight, wiping my tears with the sleeves of my blazer and watched as the car drove off. I used to believe that Ueda had an obligation to train and teach me because of my parents, but now I see that it's not an obligation, it's simply because he wants to. It was times like this when I am extremely grateful for him. Despite his preference for staying away from the limelight, Ueda stepped in and eased the burden off of my shoulders by being the CEO for these next three years. He even handled the press.. not that I would be able to do that anyway.

"Was that Sliman?"
"No way! Sliman as in the sidekick of the L/ns?"
"That was totally him, but who is she?"
"His daughter?"
"No way, she looks nothing like him"
"But we've never seen her, so it's a possibility"

No matter how hard they tried, those students couldn't whisper to save their lives. I ignored them and walked past the gates. All my life I had to keep my true identity a secret. It was mainly due to the fact that my parents had many enemies, they wanted to protect me. I never questioned them further nor did I really mind it. It's not like I talked to anyone besides Izuku and Katsu- Bakugou.

I was passing through the crowd to get to my class when a certain green haired boy caught my eye. Surprised, I turned my head to see Izuku talking to a short brown haired girl. She had a round face and pink cheeks. Very cute. I was going to go up to them, but I stopped myself and continued on my path to class.

Izuku made it into UA. Maybe that's why he was distant all summer.

I shook my head regaining focus on finding the classroom. Once I did I stopped and placed the necklace around my neck. I began to feel nervous, but I pushed away those nerves and kissed the white gem.

"It's now or never Y/n.." I told myself before taking in a deep breath. I walked into the classroom, seeing a variety of students. There was a pink girl with horns, a boy with a tail, a floating uniform, etc.

My eyes searched the room in awe of all the different quirks... until my eyes locked onto a pair of ruby ones. Immediately I recognized him. Of course it was just my luck to be in the same class as Bakugou Katsuki.

"Well shit"