Travelers

"Kakeru, are you sure about this?" asked Hajime, picking at his outfit.

"Very," said Kakeru. "Now hold still." He tied Hajime's scarf and stood back to admire him, as Arata gave a low appreciative whistle.

"Take a look in the mirror," said Aoi, gesturing to the mirror behind Hajime.

Hajime stared at the mirror. While his clothes weren't made of the finest material, it looked like something a merchant would wear. Hajime realized it was the first time he'd ever disguised himself so elaborately. He looked like a cross between a gangster, a noble, and even a farmer with the hat.

"This should help, but Hajime's charisma is a bit hard to hide," said Haru, walking around Hajime while giving him an appraising look.

"Well, at least he looks more like a merchant and less like a king," said Kakeru, raising his hands in surrender. He sighed.

Hajime turned around, turning his back on the mirror. "Haru, Aoi, Arata, would you accompany me?"

All three of them nodded, while Kakeru looked slightly crestfallen, before schooling his expression.

"And Kakeru, could you look after the kingdom for a while? Send a messenger bird if things get out of hand."

Kakeru nodded enthusiastically, and Hajime was reminded of a puppy.

He turned to Aoi. "Aoi, can you ride a horse?"

"Kind of...?" said Aoi, looking down with a hand in his hair.

Hajime started down the palace hall, his footsteps echoing with a quiet determination. "Then you're with me."

They left the palace, taking three horses from the stable—Harmony, Lune and Styra—they set out of the palace gates and down into the capital. Hajime looked around, wondering how long it had been since he had left the palace. The scent of baked goods wafted in from a bakery down the street. Despite the beginnings of an epidemic, the people seemed relaxed, meaning there wasn't any issues here.

As he crossed houses and stores, people gave way to the three of them, appreciative looks on their faces.

He was stopped by the guards at the city border.

"Halt!" they said, crossing their spears over the gate. Harmony whinnied and stepped back, Aoi strengthening his hold on Hajime at the sudden movement. "Without permission from the king, you cannot leave the city. A quarantine has been issued."

Haru laughed and Hajime felt Aoi hiding his laughter.

"Looks like Kakeru's disguise worked just fine," said Arata, as Styra swished her tail as if agreeing with his words. Hajime took off his hat, his black hair catching the sun's rays.

The guards looked like a vampire had sucked all the blood out of them. "Your Majesty, we apologize!"

"Keep up the good work, and do let me pass the gates," said Hajime.

They crossed the city border, and travelled past another city, as bustling and lively as the capital. Hajime took the time to observe how the cities were getting along. They reached plains, flat and green. Deer stood grazing, their ears cocked up as Hajime and the rest passed by.

"There were plains between Lunox and Hyra," nodded Haru, who appeared to have memorized the map.

Aoi had fallen asleep halfway, and Hajime adjusted Harmony's speed to keep him from falling off. They had set up camp for the night, Arata and Aoi arguing for a while about whether a campfire would attract or repel animals, before Hajime knocked them both on the head. Haru, on the other hand, gave them a very detailed lecture about how fires keep animals away, because where there's a campfire, there are humans.