Chapter Nineteen

Začať od začiatku

"You are marrying a prince and will become the future Queen," She finished.

"I can only imagine what my parents would say and think about all this."

Mary stood up from the chair and walked toward Eve, "They would be very happy for you, Eve. After all, you have suffered in this life, you deserve a happy ending more than any of us."

"Thank you, Mary," Eve hugged her cousin.

Mary soon left Eve's room, leaving Eve with Hera, the only two in the room. Eve continued packing what she would need as Hera lay on the bed watching her owner. After packing, Eve went to the hospital to inform Dr. Clarkson that she would be away for a while and did not know when she would return.

At dinner, everyone asks Eve and Mary what they would do in France. The two replied that they would mostly visit museums, tour the countryside, shop, etc. Robert had said that he was just glad that Eve was not seeing Emilio, and Eve knew that if her uncle truly knew what was going on, he would burst.

Once dinner was over, Eve and Mary retired right after since they would be waking before the sun would be barely up. Eve could barely sleep when she was in bed since her head was filled with a million thoughts. Eve thought about everything in her life, how it all led up to this point, that soon she would be married, will she be ready to be Queen, etc. Eventually, she fell asleep and would not wake up until it was time to get ready before leaving with Mary, Hera, and Anna. Once everyone was ready, the four left Downton and were the only ones who truly knew the true destination of the journey. As the train departed from the station, the three talked about Eve's wedding details as they sat in their train compartment during the train ride. After the train ride, the three women and the dog boarded the ferry to take them to Spain and lead them to their adjoining bedrooms.

After getting everything that would need to be unpacked, the three women and the dog walked around the ferry to admire the view before sitting down and getting something to eat. Once Eve finished her meal, she sent a telegram to Emilio saying that she was on the ferry and on the way. Later on, in Eve's room, Anna, Mary, and Eve continued to talk about her wedding details more and more with each passing hour. Eve told Anna and Mary everything they wanted to know about the wedding from what she knew.

"Do you know what church the wedding will be in, Miss?" Anna inquired.

"It will be held at San Jerónimo el Real or St. Jerome the Royal," Eve replied, "Emilio wrote to me saying that it is quite beautiful."

"Are you nervous, Miss?"

"I suppose, like any bride, I am," She answered, "I think it is more excitement about what is to come than nervousness. Though there are some things that I am quite frightened of."

"Oh," Mary said, "Like what?"

"Will I be a good wife, mother, especially a Queen?" Eve wondered, "I never truly expected to be the center of attention when I walk in the room, to have everyone bow and curtsy to me, or for everyone to sit or stand when I do. I'm afraid that everyone will say that their prince made a mistake by marrying me the moment I make a mistake."

"Eve, you will be marvelous as a wife, mother, and Queen," Mary told her, "Anyone who has ever known you has said that you are kind, compassionate, understanding, brave, intelligent, and so much more. I can say with the highest confidence that you will be the greatest Queen that Spain will ever know, and your firstborn child will become a great monarch as their parents."

"I agree with Lady Mary, Miss," Anna spoke, "I have seen you act with such kindness and understanding that you would make a great ruler."

"Thank you," Eve said to them with a smile.