Darklina Wedding

.・゜゜・ALINA POV・゜゜・.

I twist the ring around my finger, watching the miniature diamond sun disappear and reappear. Splinters of light from the window struggle past the thick velvet drapery, falling into the ring and spraying the room with rainbow sprung sparkles.

"Are you going to play with it all day?" Genya's impatient words tug under my skin. I can feel the minutes passing by, but I can't bring myself to stand. Pure disbelief about today keeps me in my vanity chair.

Genya's hands continue to work through my hair, combing and plaiting into a low braided bun, exactly as we had planned on. "You know it's alright, everyone gets nervous on their wedding day."

"I'm not nervous," I say quietly, then spin around in my chair to face her.

"Do you think you could get him to talk to me?"

Genya smiles pointedly. "Last I heard, he locked himself in his room so he wouldn't accidentally see you before the wedding. There's no way you can talk to Kirigan before the ceremony."

I had found it hilarious at first, how traditional Aleksander was about the wedding. But I had lied to Genya, I was nervous, and now all I wanted to do was to talk with him.

"Now," Genya gives me a quick pat on my shoulder, "Let's get you into the dress."

I did manage to stand, pulling myself in front of the mirror as Genya carries a bundle of white from my couch. A small knot does release from inside me at seeing the dress, but another one forms in its place. I'm just waiting for someone to pinch me and I'll wake up.

Genya holds up the dress, letting it tumble to the floor, and I gasp. Aleksander picked out the dress and I hadn't seen it until now.

Oh my Saints.......

He really does have good taste.

The dress was exactly what you would imagine of a wedding dress. It was exactly floor length. The front bodice was strapless and made of plain, creamy silk. The outer skirt was a very light tinted gold, while below it shone layers and layers of white crinoline. It unfolded out and shimmered gently as Genya waved it around. There were diamonds sewn inside the skirt and they sparkled like actual stars. The whole skirt looked as if it were made of constellations.

My head swam just looking at it. Everything was suddenly becoming so real. It's not that I had cold feet, hardly, but I was nervously shaky as Genya helped me into the dress.

A knock on the door makes me jump and I watch Genya open it. Ivan sticks his head through, not even pausing at the sight of me in my dress.

"Miss Starkov, there's a problem. I need you to come now." Ivan dry voice expresses his urgency, but not with the panic of an attack.

"What? What's happened?" I pick up my skirts and follow him out the door.

Ivan points to a window on the corridor we're passing. "Look."

The sky outside is a blinding gray. It stretches on and on, like a void. Streaks of dark gray stain the sky's stormy canvas. Thunder crackles at the exact moment Ivan points outside and I wince. Rain is coming, and soon.

I chew my lip and try for sarcasm. "What do you want me to do, change the weather?"

Ivan gives me a tired eye. "It's the General, he won't stop panicking. We need you to come and calm him down."

"I thought he wouldn't see me before the ceremony."

"At this rate," Ivan pauses at an exit door. "There won't be a ceremony."