-vii. an ambush from a d-list monster

"THIS IS just pairrrr-fect," the monster purred

Kalani subconsciously scooted forward in front of Thalia.

"Long ago, the gods banished me to Persia," he said.

"Oh great, here comes his villain origin story," mumbled Kalani to Thalia, who snickered.

"I was forced to scrounge for food on the edges of the world, hiding in forests, devouring insignificant human farmers for my meals. I never got to fight any great heroes. I was not feared and admired in the old stories! But now that will change. The Titans shall honor me, and I shall feast on the flesh of half-bloods!"

"I don't think that's gonna get you admired, but you do you," Kalani said. "And I'm afraid that means you're going to become a shish kabob in a couple minutes." She unsheathed her hand axe, twirling it around in her hand. Thalia stood up next to Kalani, hand carefully placed on her shield, ready to bring out Aegis when needed.

"You heroes," sneered the monster. "So set on your prideful and egoistical ways. That will just get you killed in far more painful ways."

"You're the one who's butthurt that no great heroes aren't fighting you," Kalani snapped back. "Ever stop to think that's maybe because you're a D-list monster?"

He studied Kalani. "You feel that same rage towards some of your fellow campers, do you not?"

"What?" Kalani said, taken aback. She didn't expect this monster to know anything about her, let alone the lesser ways she and other children of minor gods were treated. "You don't know what you're talking about."

It only sneered in response.

"Where. . . where are the skeletons?" Percy asked.

Kalani didn't know, but she definitely wasn't complaining. It meant less enemies to fight, so she was all for it.

The manticore scowled. "I do not need those foolish undead! The General thinks I am worthless? He will change his mind when I defeat you myself!"

Kalani quietly whistled to herself. "Serious self esteem issues, huh?"

"We beat you once before," Percy said.

"Ha! You could hardly fight me with a goddess on your side. And, alas. . . that goddess is preoccupied at the moment. There will be no help for you now."

Zoë notched an arrow, aiming it directly at the manticore's head. The guards on either side of the manticore raised their guns.

"Jokes on you, I have one too," Kalani yelled, and brought out the pistol she'd taken from the skeleton warriors. "You guys are mortal, right? Means you aren't safe."

"Wait, you have a gun?" Thalia whispered, surprise evident on her face.

"Yeah, I stole one from the skeletons in Cloudcroft," Kalani whispered back. "Forgot to tell you guys."