The Adventure That Lies Ahead

"Thanks Mr.Baker, I appreciate all the food. I- I mean my grandma is going to love it." The baker frowns. I bet he is upset because the baker and his wife don't have a child. They seem to talk about it all the time. I skip out of the store shoving a donut in my mouth. The baker makes the most wonderful food I can't help but eat all of it. I am sure my grandma doesn't mind. She doesn't like sweets that much anyways.

I skip into the woods prepared for that annoying wolf to pop up at any moment. It's like he has nothing better to do except bother little girls going to see their grandmother. I here a rustling in the trees. " It's ok little wolfie, don't be scared, I won't bite." I say in an imitating voice. I see two green eyes poke around from behind a tree. These aren't the same eyes I normally see. I am used to seeing big yellow eyes but these are a soft brilliant green.

"Hello. It's ok, you can come out." A boy about my age comes out from behind the tree. He has beautiful smile and his eyes are so intriguing. Following the boy is a pure white cow. This startled me for a second but then I realize that he is probably about to sell it at the market. "Did you think I was a wolf?" He asks with a huge smile on his face. "Sorta." I reply. "I have never seen any one else in the woods before besides a wolf so you can see how I can assume that."

"I guess so." He says. "What are you doing in the woods?" I ask. His smile drops and I see a sad look in his eyes. " I am off to sell a friend." He replies. I am guessing he is talking about the cow. "I am sorry about that." I say hoping it makes him feel better. " I like your hood." He says. It makes me blush for a second, but then I look away hoping he doesn't notice. "Thanks, my grandmother made it for me. I am actually on the way to her house right now. Would you like to join me." " Sure, I'd love to." He replies. I was hoping he would say that.

We walk through the woods for a while as we talk about our families. He tells me how his mother is always angry and how his cow won't make milk. I tell him about how the baker feeds me and sometimes gives me a place to stay.

We finally reach the house and we walk inside. "Hey grandma. Look who I brought with me. His name is Jack." No answer. "Grandma. You home?" She is probably sleeping. She is really old so she likes to take naps. I walk into her room but instead of her being in her bed, there was a note. I read it allowd so Jack can hear. " Your grandma made a delicious brunch. Hope you don't miss her too much. You know I never want to upset you. " I could tell he was joking on that last part. I can't believe he would do that. I loved my grandmother. I sit on the bed and start to weep. I don't have any family left. I don't know what to do. Heavy tears roll down my face. I feel a comforting arm wrap around me. "It will be alright." I here Jack's soothing voice and it calms me down I look up into his eyes and he looks back into mine. "I don't have any family left." I reply "You can pretend I am your family." I smile at what he says. "That would be nice." I say. "Do you have a place I can stay for the night, untill I can find another home?" "Of course." He says." We have an extra room in the barn. It is where Milky White used to sleep but I can clean it up for you." "Thanks." We walk out of my grandmother's house and make our way out of the woods when I get an idea. "I know who might like to buy Milky White. The baker and his wife can't seem to have a child so I am sure they would love having a cow to keep them company. I know it sounds weird but I am sure they would love it." "Your right." He says."Let's take her to them right now." We run through the forest and finally get to the bakery.

"Mr.Baker!" I yell. "We have a surprise for you." The baker comes out from behind the counter and is a bit startled to see a cow standing in his bakery. "What are you doing?!?" "We thought since you guys always want a child but you can't ever seem to have one, you might want to have a cow to keep you company." I explain. "Her name is Milky White!" Jack chimes in. "A cow is a lot different from a child." The bakers wife says. They don't seem to like the idea of it. I decide to tell them something they want to here but not completely true. "It will give you tons of milk for baking." I can't believe I just lied to them. Jack tries to but in but I elbow him in the gut lightly to get him to stop speaking. "Oh really? How much are you selling him for?" I look at Jack to see how much money he is willing to sell it for. He still looks a bit confused with the whole milk lie. "How much do you want for it?" I ask Jack hoping he will get why I lied before. "5 pounds." He says. "We don't have any money on us but we do have some pastries and bread. We are almost sold out for the day so you can take the rest of what's here." Thanks Mr. Baker" I reply. "Do you have a bag we can carry these in?" "Sure, we have a basket back here you can use." The baker's wife says and she hands me the basket. I follow Jack around the store while he packs all the food inside. After that we make our way back to his house.

We get to his house which is old and broken down. It makes me feel bad for him that he has to live like this, but what I really don't know is that he has to deal with something else. We walk into the barn where I guess I will be sleeping. I look around and there is a bunch of hay and cow poop all over the place. I try not to show how disgusted I am so I don't be rude. He walks to the other side of the barn where there is a box. Inside there is a few bread slices and a half drunk water bottle. He puts the basket of bread inside. "This is where my mom puts my dinner. Looks like she already put it out." I am confused at first but then I realize that the bread and the water is his dinner. Now I feel really bad. "Please don't tell my mother I got this food. I have never seen this much food in one place ever in my life." "Won't she realize that you sold the cow for nothing?" I ask. He considers it for a second when he spots something on the ground. It is 5 beans. "I will pretend these are magic beans." He says showing me the beans. "Do you really think she is going to believe that?" I ask. "We will just have to find out." He says.

I here a yell from the other room. "Jack!!! Jack!!! Get yourself over here." He turn around and motions for me to stay here. He runs out of the barn. I here muffled voices. "So, where is the money?" "I don't have any." I here Jack say. " but I got these magic beans." "Magic beans?!?!" You have got to be kidding me." I here a smack. "Go to your room and eat your dinner. Better savor it, it is the last one you will get for a long time." Jack comes back into the barn with a red mark on his face. He comes over to me. "I am sick of this! I am nearly starved and I live in a barn. I do all the work in house and on the farm and get nothing out of it. I might as well be living on my own!" That seems to give him an idea. Oh, now, I know what he is thinking. You know, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. "We could run away." He says. I act surprised as if I didn't know that he was going to say that. "We could. We have a ton of food, and I know a city a little ways from here where we could stay. I like to go there sometimes to see all the cool stores and places." I think it is a good idea but I have never been to a city before. "Is a city a lot different from the town?" "Yes, of course. I am sure you will love it. Come on we got to go." He grabs the basket of food and my hand and we run out of the store. He stops for a second and looks into my eyes. My hand is still touching his. I feel a weird urge to stay here for ever, near him. "Are you ready." He asks. "As ready as I'll ever be." He smiles and it warms my heart. He turns again and we run through the tall grass towards the future that lies ahead of us.

After a while my legs start to give out. He looks at me a realizes we need to take a break. He decides to act like he is tired too so I don't look weak. He has bad acting skills. He sits down. "I am so tired." He says. I roll my eyes because I know he is lying. I sit down next to him and he puts his arm around me. I think that something has grown between us. I know I like him but I am not sure he likes me. It starts to get dark outside so we share a loaf of bread and I start to drift asleep. He leans down over me and kisses my cheek. "Sleep tight." He says. I smile. I know I am going to love the adventure that lies ahead.