The last sentence was said in a whisper, as Shiki touched Rebecca's lips with his thumb before kissing them. Rebecca kissed back, her heart fluttering in a way she never thought possible.

She pushed down her guilt, locking it in a far away corner of her consciousness. She wasn't hurting him, she wasn't hiding anything horrible. She had had never problems before with this, and it wasn't now that those were starting.

But secrets, especially the ones we really want to hide, always have a way to come to surface.

Rebecca would soon learn that.

*

"What's up with that smile?" Labilia asks. She was laying on Rebecca's bed, editing a video.

"Hmm?" Rebecca continues to study, not looking up.

"You have that weird smile while studying. It's creepy." She says, leaning her head against her hand. "And no one smiles while studying. So I'm assuming it has nothing to do with studying at all." Labilia sits, smirking. "What exactly happened with Shiki?"

Rebecca couldn't help but smile more at the mention of the boy's name. She turned on her chair, hugging her legs close to her chest. "It is that obvious that it's about him?"

"To me, it is. You only have that expression when you're with him."

Rebecca looks down, her eyes soft as she remembered what a busy day had been. "Well... it indeed has to do with Shiki."

"How about telling me something I don't know?"

Rebecca gives her a look before chuckling. "We... kissed." She brought her fingers to her lips instinctively.

The words sounded scared to her ears and saying them out loud just made her feel warmer inside.

Labilia blinks. 3 seconds pass before she suddenly jumps out of bed, scaring the hell out of Rebecca, and grabs her by the shoulders.

"WAIT, WHAT?! SAY EVERYTHING TO ME, DON'T HOLD BACK! ESPECIALLY IN THE JUICY PARTS!" She shook Rebecca back and forth making her dizzy, her eyes twinkling, her cheeks flushed.

"W-Wait, c-calm down, Labilia." Rebecca stammers. "I c-can't think straight."

The blue-haired girl stops, looking expectantly at Rebecca as she sits on a small couch.

"It was completely normal." Rebecca starts, too embarrassed to look Labilia in the eyes. "We went to the marine to watch the sunset. And then we started talking, and one thing led to another and then... we kissed." She made a small smile at the last part.

"How was it?"

"It's embarrassing to talk about that!"

"I don't care! You're finally having some romance in your life, I want to know everything."

Rebecca looked at her friend. "You talk as if you have had many boyfriends and dates in yours."

Labilia crosses her arms over her chest. "Firstly, don't try to change the subject. Secondly, I don't have by choice. No one worthy of me has appeared yet." She waves her hand, dismissing the subject. "Now, back to you. How did you feel?" The last question was asked in a surprising gentle tone.

"I felt... so, so happy. So warm. I... I can't really describe it. I have no words."

Labilia's face softened, and she placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. "Don't worry. The best kisses are like that, or so I'm told."

Rebecca gazes into Labilia's eyes, grateful she had her in her life.

"So that means the deal is no longer a deal?" Labilia asks after a while.

Rebecca makes a big smile as she nods. "Yeah. We're officially dating. But I guess it doesn't really change things much for an outsider." She chuckles.

"Who would say..." Labilia whispers, leaning back on the couch. She shakes her head. "Who would say you would get a boyfriend before me? Surely I didn't see that coming."

Rebecca hits her playfully on the arm. "Hey!"

They laugh together, a nice atmosphere around them. Nothing could ruin Rebecca's happiness. She had friends she adored, fans she cared deeply, a family that supported her. And finally, she was together with the boy she liked.

Everything was perfect.

But unfortunately, perfection is a fleeting thing, existing in a moment and gone the next.

*

It had been 3 days since then.

Rebecca found each and every one delightful, talking and doing things with Shiki. Even something as ordinary as studying sounded marvelous with him by her side.

Although it was before dinner, it was already dark. Rebecca needed to go to the library to return some books and to ask for more.

She went as she liked best: a loose sweater, vulgar denim pants, her hair tied high on a ponytail and wearing glasses, no make-up at all. Again, no one recognized, didn't look twice; and she was relieved by that.

She chose 3 fantasy books, one from an author she knew and the others to know about. She leaves the library with them in hand, with that warm feeling of new book waiting to be read.

Rebecca was so focused on admiring the beautiful covers while walking, that she wasn't really paying attention to anything around her.

When her body hit another, she lost balance and started falling backwards, her books falling on the street. A quick hand caught her wrist, steadying her, and Rebecca gained composure again.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention." She apologizes as she crouches to pick up the books. I hope they aren't damaged. Fortunately, it didn't seem like it.

A hand stretches out to pick the last one. "I'm sorry too, I was distracted."

Rebecca freezes, not daring to look or get up. The voice was too familiar. She knew it too well not to recognize it.

"Is everything okay?" The voice asks, concern mirrored in it.

Slowly the B-cuber gets up, looking down, cursing for having chosen a haircut that didn't shield her face.

"T-Thanks." She murmurs as she extends a hand to get the book.

From the corner of her eye, she saw the person handing the book. But the moment their hands brushed, the person grabbed her hand, pulling her forward. It only worked because she wasn't expecting it.

She looked up. Her blue eyes met a pair of widened ones, the person's face lit with surprise and shock.

"Rebecca?" Shiki whispers with astonishment.