Nineteen: She Said Yes

Start from the beginning

"Lydia was right there when we were talking about Ragnor Fell. If she's not gonna admit what she did, I'm gonna make her admit it," Jace snarled.

"So were a dozen other people!" Everest burst out. "I don't like her very much, but even I'll admit that she's not a completely horrible person."

Clary stepped in front of Jace, stopping him from storming up to Lydia and likely doing something that would have dire consequences sooner rather than later. "Jace, stop. You are too worked up to talk to anyone right now."

"Especially not an important envoy from the Clave," added Izzy.

"No one needs you doing something that could end poorly right now Jace," Everest said.

"Let me talk to Lydia," Clarry suggested. "If you accuse Alec's fiancée of treason, you will ruin whatever relationship you have left with him."

Everest flinched at her sister's words, but if they saw it, no one mentioned it.

"Clary's right Jace. If Lydia did this, she might not be so defensive with Clary. She might let her guard down. Slip up."

"Fine." Jace turned to Clary with a determined look in his eyes. "But I want to know everything she says."

...

"I feel like we haven't seen each other at all in a while," Everest said, sitting on her bed beside Izzy.

"It has been a while, hasn't it?" Izzy smiled at Everest and she returned it without hesitation. "But we're together now. So, what's up with you, Magnus, and my brother?"

Everest groaned and flopped backwards on her bed, pillows flying everywhere. "It's a mess."

"What happened?"

"Well besides the fact that I like two guys that I'm fairly sure like each other and not me? Everything." Everest felt the bed dip beside her and turned to see Izzy's face inches from hers. She turned her head to face the ceiling again. A hand lifted her head and when it was lowered again, her head was resting on Izzy's arm. She cuddled into her friend's side and sighed.

"I accidentally confessed my feelings to Magnus the other day," she said softly.

"What?!" Everest was sure that if her arm wasn't trapped Izzy would have shot up and started to pace the room. It was a habit that she shared with Jace and Alec. "When? How? Where? Why?"

Everest chuckled. "Yeah, pretty much. I was freaking out because of stress and stuff and I'm ninety percent sure that I looked like I was having a psychotic break, but it's fine. Then Magnus walked in and asked if he could help at all."

"What did you say?" Izzy sounded nervous and Everest couldn't blame her; she was nervous about it all too.

"I told him that unless he could find a way for him and Alec to both like me and each other and be alright with us all dating he couldn't help."

It was silent, only their breathing and the faint hum of the Institute could be heard in the room. Then, "Oh."

"What do you mean 'oh?'" Everest leaned on her elbow, facing Izzy.

"I thought you were going to say that you kissed him or something like that." Izzy sighed in relief, but Everest just stared open-mouthed at her friend.

"I—buh—no—huh?" she sputtered. "No! I didn't kiss Magnus!"

"But you want to," teased Izzy in a sing-song voice.

Everest's cheeks darkened and she flopped back onto her back, ignoring the slight yelp that came from Izzy when she landed on her arm. Her arms covered her face in an attempt to hide the deep red that was flooding her face and neck.