The Most Perfect Plan Ever Construed

The sound of the waves lapping against the shore. The noise of seagulls flying overhead. The pure blue sky high above us.

All this I ignored as I felt the fretting inside take over me nearly completely.

Alberto was right, I had change.

I had caught feelings.

You'd wonder how exactly could that happen? Well, if fish could be caught in a net, why couldn't I be caught in a net? A net of love.

And I think Alberto could sense that off me as soon as me and Giulia had arrived.

"Well, now, Alberto." Giulia said to him as she strolled over confidently with her hands placed on her hips relaxed, "Has things changed?"

"Yep," He said with a grin and pointed at my throat again, "Luca's been eating steak. That's why his voice has deepened."

"Alberto," I whined, annoyed at his assessment.

"Everyone knows if you eat cow your voice goes deeper because of it."

"Er, no it doesn't." Giulia replied and suddenly thrust her upper half towards him, "Then how do you explain these?"

"You rammed coconuts into your chest."

"Ha!" She laughed and I laughed back too, but was becoming red in the cheeks again, "Where do you get these facts?"

"I'm a pure expert." He replied with a sharp grin, "My Bruno tells me so."

I chuckled at his answer to her and Giulia only sighed exasperated and tired of this 'Bruno' talk.

"Come, come now." Her father said, approaching us and leading us away towards town, "I made your favorite. Pasta."

"Pasta..." Alberto said in an intoxicated hungry voice. I could almost see drool melt out from his mouth. Giulia laughed at the sight and also at her dad, adding.

"Papa, you make that every day."

"Well, I guess we could have fish?"

"No!" I gasped and all eyes turned on me. For some reason, I believed they wanted to eat US sea monsters. We were after all 'part' fish. And even though we also ate fish... I still felt dirty over it.

"What's wrong with your boyfriend?" Her father asked, interrupting my inner turmoil over the whole fish thing.

"Boyfriend?!" We both squeaked and Alberto grinned, Mr Marcavaldo raising one over his thick heavy eyebrows up.

"Luca is not my boyfriend."

"Yeah," I butted in shyly, "Giulia is not my boyfriend either!"

"You mean girlfriend...?" Alberto chimed and I went red in the face, yelping.

"Yep! Not my girlfriend!"

Mr. Marcavaldo and Alberto glanced at one another then back at us two and Marcavaldo just shrugged his shoulders, muttering.

"Okay."

He picked up our stuff and carried it out of the station.

"Hey, Luca." Alberto said to me as we followed the huge burly man out to the town's main street, "Your parents said I could come over tonight and we can hang out like old times."

"Oh, Alberto, that sounds wonderful."

"Pity, Giulia can't come."

"How come..?" I asked puzzled. Alberto put his hand in front of me, blocking me from walking on.