3| I am not here, I do not sleep

Her hands were warm.

Perhaps it was the anxiety which cooled his body to the depth of his skeleton, or the Aether weather which was surprisingly chilly.

Her hands were warm against his shirt, and that made everything more complicated.

When George first came across the Legend of Lady Eden, a supposedly wise woman... no, deity, who stood right alongside Notch, his immediate thought was to use her kindness against her. To exploit every ounce of her power for his benefit- after all, she couldn't deny the beings she swore to protect ?

The image of her that had formed in his mind was quite similar to that of Notch: an old woman marked by time, with old and mature eyes. Like a grandmother whose reassuring embrace lulls everyone to a peaceful and gentle death. Wrinkles would dot her face, and her long hair would be a white colour intensified by age.

But the hand on his shoulder was smooth and thin, a pianist's fingers some would say. Her golden voice carried a certain maturity based on experience, not age. The metaphorical sword he swore to drive through her unbeating heart now laid on the ground, dropped by his treacherous hand.

And as she talked to him, he could only stare in awe, "This is the land of the dead -as is every land, apart from the Overworld- however, the Aether is made for the good dead. People who lost their three lives heroically, or spent them helping others... Good deeds are repaid.", she explained carefully, while opening the window and letting the sounds enter inside the castle, "Every newcomer gets a choice: to stay here or to get resurrected in any form of their choice. Many people -more than what you probably expect- decide to stay, which explains the high propancy of species and structures in the Aether. To be fair, there is so much to tell, and so little time."

"No time you mean. Because George is going to come back to the Overworld with me. And he's going to wake up and forget everything that happened here", ordered a voice sternly, "Even better, Arkenzus will guide you out. I don't feel like discussing it with you at the moment."

Amidst all that 'chaos' and novelty, stood Notch. Furious and distressed, his fists were tightly clenched behind his back. Nothing was going according to plan, and the safety of his precious creation was being compromised. These human pests were originally supposed to be a distraction for him and his rulers. They weren't supposed to interfere.

"No, Arkenzus has other things to do, armies to lead and prayers to oversee. I'll wake you up myself, enough astral-projecting for the night"

Lady Eden smiled dejectedly, already waving her hand goodbye, her trusted spectre nowhere to be found.

"Will I ever get the chance to see you again ? To learn more about the Aether ?" stammered George

Notch answered instead, "No, you won't."

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌

"This was mean"

"No it wasn't"

"This was absolutely unnecessary and evil.", Lady Eden rebuked.

"Do not call it unnecessary when I did it for you ! For your safety ! Don't you remember what happened to your three lives ? How you sacrificed yourself for people who didn't give a single sh*t about you ? How you spent your whole existence helping people who don't even visit your grave ? You're unable to put a single foot on the Overworld, and your wings have never been spread since your resurrection", Notch lost his cool and screamed, anger fuelling his golden veins, "Reine and you are all I have left... Not even, Reine already attached herself to her Dragon and 'family'. You're all I have left (Y/N), so please let me take care of everything and stay here. The Aether needs you."