𝗙𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿'𝘀 𝗗𝗮𝘆

•♡•

Fintan was at a loss for words.

It was strange to see the usually scowling young lady smiling at him, her e/c eyes bright as she offered a handmade card to him.

"Happy Father's Day!" y/n chirped, "I made you a card! I hope you like it!"

The man hesitantly took the card from his daughter and stared at it for a moment.

It was rather odd to him. The two of them were still getting to know one another again and Fintan wasn't very good at... Father stuff...

Y/n didn't seem to mind his method of parenting, always enjoying the days Fintan would allow her to help with his garden or chase off Fatui Skirmishers.

The man didn't think he was that great of a Father, another reason for his lack of words when y/n wished him a happy father's day.

He opened it and smiled a little.

Though y/n's handwriting was horrible, he could tell she tried and the little doodles on the edges of the card were clearly a product of her hard work.

He looked back at his daughter who seemed hopeful and ruffled her hair.

"Thanks kiddo. I appreciate it." he told her gently, "We haven't gotten to paend much time together so... I suppose we could use today as Father-Daughter time?"

Y/n grinned, "Yes! I don't know what that is but it sounds kinda fun!"

"Alright then." Fintan chuckled.

Fintan's idea of Father-Daughter time was beating up slimes that constantly messed up his garden, terrorizing treasure hunters, fishing and of course...

"Do you not know how to swim?" Fintan asked his daughter as they stood on the edge of a cliff.

Apparently, Fintan wanted to jump in the water from... that high up... but y/n didn't seem too thrilled about it.

"...nye. I never learned."

Fintan stares for a moment before marching away from the cliff, "Neither did I, let's go paint instead."

Y/n watched her Father walk, her eyed wide, "You don't know how to swim either?"

"Nope. I was just hoping you'd know how to so I wouldn't drown." Fintan told her, looking over his shoulder with a smile, "I'll have to wait to cross this off my bucket list."

"But... wouldn't your own Dad teach you to swim?" y/n inquired as she ran to catch up with the blue eyed man.

"No, we didn't have the best relationship." Fintan said simply, "I spent that time learning to paint with my younger sister."

"Oh, I see." y/n murmured then grinned, "I'll learn how to swim so I can teach you! Only if you teach me to paint first."

Fintan also grinned, his expression identical to y/n's, "Alright, you've got yourself a deal, y/n."

Painting was... actually quite fun for y/n. Though it was kinda concerning for Fintan to see how obsessed she was with the red paint, he was glad to see her having fun.

'I haven't completely failed.' he realized, 'I still have a chance to be a good father.'

"There! All done!" y/n declared then showed off her realistic painting of Springvale burning to the ground.

Fintan blinked once. Then twice.

"Wow."

"I know, right?"

~~~ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ•°*

"Hm... Dad?"

Fintan choked on air when y/n spoke up, breaking into a fit of coughing while she stared at him with concerned eyes.

"Yeah, what is it?" the man managed to say, trying not to cry.

"What is love?" y/n inquired, "I know the type of love that you feel for family but what is the other type of love. The..."

"Romantic type of love?" Fintan finished for her and his daughter nodded.

"Well... this is a tough one to answer..." Fintan murmured, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, "I suppose I could just go off of how I felt about your Mother. Eira."

The man cleared his throat then stated, "The love I felt for Eira made me think of her during all hours of the day. Anytime I saw her, my mood would improve. No matter how badly my day was going. Since I was never very good at expressing my feelings, I showed my love through actions."

"What type of actions?" y/n asked.

"Well, before we started dating, I would simply smile at her. And I didn't smile a lot at the time." Fintan began, "I would paint for her, open doors for her, sometimes even walk with her and listen to her rant about her day. As for when we were in a professional environment, I'd do my best to protect her."

"Hm... so you csn show love through actions?" y/n asked her Father and he nodded.

"Through words too." he told her.

"Oh! I see!" y/n gasped, "Could you tell me more about my Mother, maybe?"

"Isn't this Father's Day?" Fintan reminded her and chuckled when she pouted.

"Well now it's Parents Day!" y/n told him, "And I'd like to know about Mom and how you two got together!"

"Oh well, since you're so intent on learning more about her..." Fintan sighed, "Your Mother was just as reckless as you are. She had a lot of scars, a lot more than you do. That woman? She could survive almost anything?"

"Anything?" y/n echoed.

"Almost. She took a knife to the throat once and I'm pretty sure she broke several of her ribs before..." Fintan continued, "I was always the one patching her up. Because of her, I learned to be calm around blood since she was always the one bleeding heavily."

"Woah..." y/n breathed, "I was stabbed in the tummy once! And blasted off a cliff!"

Fintan winced, "Ouch... and yet you're still here today fighting so fearlessly."

"Indeed! Nobody can destroy the Magnificent Bellator Minima!" y/n declared with a grin, "Muhe dada!"

Fintan smiled a little and ruffled the girl's hair, "Even you need to be protected, y/n. And that's what I'm here for."

"Hm?" y/n glanced at her Father.

"Just know that I would give up my life for the sake of yours." Fintan said gently, "Just like your Mother did all those years ago."

Y/n stared for a moment before giving him a hug along with a, "Tomo, Papa."

The man's eyes began to well up with tears as he returned the embrace.

He hadn't failed. He still had a second chance to be a good Father to y/n.

He wasn't going to mess up this time.