Chapter 1: The Attack

Start from the beginning

You plucked the blade out of the nightmare creature just in time to see the door turn to splinters as more of the monsters burst inside. The shotgun fire from Derek and Nea seemed to be enough to hold them back, but that was until they had to reload.

The first four or so Lycans were down quick from the shells, but as number five and six entered, guns started to click, indicating a lack of ammunition.

"Shit!" Derek said in a panic, trying to grab another ammo cartridge from his belt. In his haste to reload, the cartridge slipped from his sweat coated hands, hitting the ground with a clatter.

The Lycans both snarled, turning their attention to the two defenceless survivors and noticing them to be the weakest link. As the first one moved forward, a bullet pierced it's shoulder, causing an ear piercing shriek.

"Back off, you bastards!" Hank held his pistol up, defiant against the beasts. While his gun had ammo, it lacked firepower, meaning the Lycans were able to trudge forward against the rain of bullets.

"Hank, look out!" Your voice quivered ever so slightly as you saw the creatures inching towards him. Your warning didn't matter. The front Lycan swept its claws across the man's arm, leaving deep cuts that wept crimson blood onto the floor. A yell echoed from Hank's throat as he was quickly pounced onto and pinned to the floor, the Lycan biting down on his skull.

You winced at the cracking sound that followed. Oh, God.

The second Lycan tackled Nea, copying its friend and sinking its rigid teeth into the flesh of the woman. Kate whimpered, reeling her weapon up and shooting the first Lycan in the head, stunning it.

You wanted to mourn the loss of two of your companions, but you knew you couldn't right now. Around these parts, everyone is destined to die in an unruly way. That is how things are. Mourn the dead and you shall end up like them.

You moved forward, kicking the Lycan off the now bloodied and defeated body of Hank, trying your best to ignore the form of his crushed face. The Lycan rolled once before landing on all fours, turning and roaring at you as it lunged your way. There was little time to react before it was on top of you, too.

Your knife stabbed into its grey chest, piercing a rib or two and only egging on the beast as its jaws snapped at your neck over and over. Lycans were much stronger than humans, so it was a miracle you were able to hold it back enough to avoid having your throat ripped out. But that wouldn't last.

The beast got closer and closer to your throat, and you could hear the screams from the others in the room as they too were torn to shreds of blood and muscle. Your spare hand slid back and forth over the wooden floor, searching for something, anything!

In a final act of desperation, you managed to feel the grip of Hank's pistol and tugged it into your palm. You pulled the weapon in front of your face just as the Lycan was about to bite into you, instead finding a chunk of metal between its teeth.

"Go to hell, bitch!" You pulled the trigger, firing a round directly through its head and brain, causing instant death as the beast rolled limply off of you. Quickly rising to your feet again, you watched as the last Lycan tore its claws through Kate's neck, leaving nothing but red in its wake. You were the last one alive...

"H-Hey!" You stuttered slightly, trying to muster up courage as felt the need for vengeance for your companions. It took all your will to not run as the Lycan's head snapped towards you with a growl, blood dripping down its mouth and jaws.

You pulled the trigger, aiming for the head as any normal person would. To your horror, the gun only clicked, refusing to release a fatal shot from its steel barrel. Hank must've used most the ammo.

You looked from the empty gun to the bloodthirsty creature that was rising up.

"Change of plans." You said as adrenaline coursed through your body. You flung the pistol forward and made a dash for the door as it ricocheted off the Lycan's head. Your little rouse was enough to distract it long enough to get outside into the snowy weather, but that did you no good when you looked around at the many other Lycans on rooftops and doorsteps as they assaulted other villagers.

Why couldn't you have taken up residence in California or Florida. It had to be the village of Satan, didn't it?

Your breath hitched as a few of the Lycans around spotted you, pausing their attack to pursue you in chase. Oh, fuck that. No, that wasn't in your job description. In an instant you were in a sprint, speeding through a nearby gate as you continued to see more and more beasts around you.

Growls and howls followed on your tail as you vaulted over a fence, nearly tripping in the snow as you unconsciously made your way to the nearest village exit. Your breath rasped as you stumbled forward, keeping yourself up by pausing next to a tree.

So far you hadn't been followed out to the village's border. Maybe the creatures were banned from being out here during an assault.

On queue with your thoughts, a massive sized Lycan burst through the wall of the village, a huge hammer in hand as it stared you down with a deep roar leaving its lungs. NOPE. NEVER MIND.

In an instant you broke back into a run, realising the entire world was against you and that you weren't going to have much luck fighting the behemoth that was behind you.

"Why me?!" You cried out in anguish as heavy footsteps chased you out into the surrounding forest. One of the biggest village rules was to never go outside into the forest, but it was either that or take an ass whooping from the BFG behind you. Oh, who were you kidding? That thing might've been big and a giant, but it certainly wasn't friendly.

A tree fell behind you, and looking over your shoulder you could see the giant swinging its weapon around like a child's toy. Along with that were a good 20 or so smaller Lycans following behind it. Just your luck.

You barrelled through the snow, no longer allowing yourself to check behind you as you simply weaved between leafless trees in an attempt to escape. The footsteps behind you began to dim in volume, and soon the sound of the snow beneath your feet was the loudest thing you could hear.

After about two minutes of continuous running, you finally stopped, looking behind you. The Lycans were gone, but you were sure they weren't finished with you.

"What god did I anger in a past life to deserve this..." You whispered, half joking and half serious. You wouldn't wish a life like this on anyone. Constantly fighting for survival, no time to even indulge in hobbies. You hadn't gotten to play a single piece of music in over a year. You hadn't gotten to sing a single song in months.

Well, there was no going back to the village. Not for a while until you knew for a fact the place was safe. Then again, being technical, it was never safe.

You'd have to trudge on and hope you found a place to settle as the night was soon to come. A night you'd probably not live through if you weren't careful.