"Do you know how long we've been here?"

She shook her head. "No, I tried waking you as soon as I woke up. I panicked and-."

"Jade, that's okay...I just...I need you to listen to me," I took a deep breath and caught her eyes with mine. "They're gonna change me back and when they do that...I'll be completely under their control and when I am under their control they might..." I stopped short, shaking my head at the thought.

"Might what?" She asked worriedly.

"They might try to make me hurt you," I finished. "If...if that happens...you take me out if you get the chance you hear me?" Her face fell and she looked at me in disgust, shaking her head at those words, mumbling no. "Yes, Jade, listen, they could make me hurt you. They...they could make me...kill you." Her eyes widened in the darkness. "And I mean it, if you get the chance, any opportunity, you fight, you grab one of the soldiers guns, do anything you have to, and you put me down you understand? I'd rather...I'd rather die than hurt you."

"I couldn't shoot Dimitri and I don't even like him! How on earth do you expect me to hurt you?" she asked incredulously looking down at her hands. "I should have shot him like you said, but I...I couldnt and now we're here in this place-."

"None of that matters, I was a fool to send you out there alone," I cut in tilting my head so she was forced to look up and into my eyes. "This is not your fault. And I want you to promise me that if I become the Winter Soldier again-."

"No, James," she started again, shaking her head.

"If I become the Winter Soldier again you will stop me-."

She jumped to her feet, backing away from me, now looking angry. "No! I can't. I won't-."

I growled in frustration, snapping at her to make her stop. "Dammit Jade, yes, you have too. Otherwise I'll hurt you and probably a lot of other people," her face fell again. "So you promise me that you won't let me hurt you if you can stop me."

"James..." she covered her face with both hands.

"Promise me. Right now."

She was still shaking her head, but took a deep breath before looking me in the eye again. "I...I promise," she said softly.

An awkward silence fell over us, only the sound of our breathing filling the air, and I felt remorse for snapping at her. My face softened and I sighed. "Come here," I called gently. She hesitated and remained where she stood with her arms crossed, looking at me warily. "Jade, I'm sorry for snapping, please come here."

She came towards me slowly, sitting down next to me, looking up at me meekly. I leaned in slowly, giving her every opportunity to stop me and kissed her, softly at first, and then harder when she didn't hesitate. She took my face into her hands as the kiss deepened and I slid my tongue into her mouth for a taste. She withdrew from the kiss first, breathless, her heart still racing and resting her head against my shoulder, leaning into me. I put my head against hers, resting it there, sighing heavily. She wrapped her arms around my waist, hugging my body.

We sat like that in silence for what felt like hours, but there was no way to really know. The sounds of the heavy locks on the doors turning startled us both, making Jade sit up tensely looking at the door and then me in panic.

"James," fear dripped from her voice.

"It's okay, Sugar," I lied even as the door opened and two armed soldiers entered. "It's going to be okay."

I expected them to come grab me and tensed in preparation for them to do so, but they stalked towards her, shouting at her to get up in Russian which she of course didn't understand. She remained sitting, looking terrified and confused, her brown eyes wide and darting between the two soldiers as she tensed and raised her hands to her chest. The first soldier grabbed her by the arm, yanking her to her feet and away from me and I felt anger roar through me.