T H R E E

« The River's Edge »

HALLOWEEN USED TO BE ONE OF the Bartholdy's favorite holidays. Lucinda would take young Julian and Clemintine trick-or-treating with Betty, Polly, and Alice Cooper while Steven stayed home to work and pass out candy.

Clemintine now longed for those days. She longed for her parents, just to hug them one last time. Even now, she wished that Julian was here. He loved Halloween parties. She knew he would have wanted to attend the community centers party with her.

"Hey, you made it." Monroe was the first to greet Clemintine. "Nice costume."

"Thanks." Clemintine glanced down at her attire. She, Cheryl, and Toni had done a group costume this year. Cheryl and Toni as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, while Clemintine was dressed as a female Batman. "So is yours." She inspected his Captain America like costume.

Monroe chuckled, knowing full well how ridiculous he must look. But he was doing it for the kids. "Thanks." His mood dropped as he caught a glimpse of something outside.

Clemintine, catching the mood shift, gave the teen boy a concerned look. "Everything okay?"

"We gotta find Archie." He grasped the girl's hand, pulling her through the crowded room, quickly finding Archie speaking with some teens. "Red, we got trouble at two o'clock." Monroe began, his hand leaving the blondes. "Dodger and his crew just came in."

They all turned their heads to the door, and sure enough, this Dodger guy stood by the door, a few men filing in behind him.

Archie made the first move by approaching them, Monroe not too far behind as backup. "Hey, this is a private event." The redhead started off.

"Really?" The intimidating, bearded man stepped towards the teen. "'Cause the sign outside says it's open to the public."

"Not for you and your crew, Dodger."

Dodger's attention moved past Archie, making eye contact with a young teen, before whistling out a short tune. "Eddie?" He called out, motioning for the boy to come closer.

Before the boy could, Clemintine took a step in front of him, feeling a sense of needing to protect the boy. "You didn't tell me you were taking a night off. Who's handling business out there while you're in here, living it up with an older girl?"

He turned his attention to Clemintine. A sickening smirk overtook his face as he came to the realization to who the girl was. "Deputy Bartholdy's daughter, huh? Your old man got what he deserved; you know that?"

Monroe ripped the mask off his face, having heard enough, moving towards the man, while using his tall frame to block the man's view of Clemintine in the process. "I heard you got your ass kicked not too long ago. If you'd like a repeat, I'll happily oblige. Now, leave." He instructed. "This is private property."