CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

We entered a room with a bed and some screens which I didn't know what they were used for. The nurse who had led us to the room told Melisa to lay on the bed and wait for the doctor to come. After a few minutes a middle aged lady walked in and introduced herself as Doctor Adrian. She told us the she was going to be Melisa's doctor all through her pregnancy. She checked the board she was holding then looked at us. I looked at her with brows raised wondering what she was thinking. She then asked us whether we really need a paternity test done.

I was about to ask her whether it was a problem when she explained that the tests should not be done in early stages of pregnancy since it could harm the baby. She also said that it was not always the case but it was a possibility. I told her to proceed with the test to which she just nodded her head. Most people would think that I did not care about the baby's safety when making that decision but I really needed to know. This was a life altering situation after all. She told Melisa to lift her shirt up and a small bump was visible.

I stared at it in amazement and was tempted to touch it but held myself back. I could see Melisa looking at me from the corner of my eyes. The doctor poured some fluid on the belly which made Melisa flinch. The doctor apologized for not warning Melisa that the fluid was cold. The doctor must have read my thoughts because she said that she had to do some check-ups before she did the paternity test.

She rubbed the gelfluid all around her belly then started scanning it. She told us to look at thescreen but I didn't have a clue about what we were looking at. She then usedthe monitor and pointed at the small bean like thing on the screen and saidthat that was the baby. There was a small thumping noise and I looked aroundthe room for the source making the doctor chuckle. She informed us that was thebaby's heartbeat. When she said that things started becoming even more real.Melisa was surely carrying a small human being in her stomach. The doctor thenasked Melisa to try relaxing as she injected a big needle into her belly to getsome samples for the test.