“Pan won’t be happy.”

        The whispers grow steadily until I can barely hear my own heartbeat.

        “Enough!” Felix shouts. “Where’s Pan?”

        “He’s busy.” The red head steps forward. “Shall I call him?”

        “Pan will already know that we have visitors.” One of the other boys drops to the ground, twirling a dagger between his fingers. The sharp point glitters in the morning sun.

        A short, bright-eyed boy leans against a tree. “Pan knows everything.”

        “Then why isn’t he here?” Felix snaps. I don’t understand why he’s so impatient. He almost seems nervous.

        The red head walks even closer, his eyes on me. “I told you, he’s busy. Besides, Pan does what he wants.”

        Felix moves between us and the approaching boy. “We are all very much aware of that fact, Bert.”

        Bert grunts, but returns to his place among the other lost boys.

        “Is everyone here?” Felix looks around the crowd.

        “Well, everyone except for me. But I believe you’ve already clarified that.” A tall boy strides into the clearing. Although his accent is very English, he looks wild. I wonder if he’s ever stepped out of this forest. His clothes are mostly dark green. Three daggers are shoved into the brown belt around his waist.

        I look away. So this is Peter Pan.

        “You’re late, Pan.”

        He raises an eyebrow. “Actually you are. Sunrise was over an hour ago.”

        “She slowed me down.” Felix nods his head toward me.

        Peter glances over and shrugs. “You know girls aren’t allowed in Neverland.”

        “What about the Indians and their Princess?” asks the bright eyed boy.

        “Jacob…” Peter glares at him. “There is no king in Neverland, so there can be no princess.”

        Jacob hangs his head, blond bangs falling over his eyes. He seems to be the youngest of the bunch.

        “Like I said, no girls. Not anymore.” Peter turns away. “Take her back, Felix.”

        “I-” starts Felix.

        “We’ll go.” I wrap my fingers around Kelvin’s hand. These boys are rather strange. London’s streets almost seem safer than this ragtag group.

        “I don’t want to.” Kelvin complains.

        Before I can respond, Peter chuckles. “Of course you won’t go. You’re a lost boy now. Neverland is your new home.”

        Shouts break out. The boys surround us and clap Kelvin on the back. Dozens of hands pull him away.

        “Stop!” I yell, trying to break through the strangers pressing around me. Someone grips my shoulder and yanks me away from group.

        I whirl around.

        Felix raises an eyebrow. “Aren’t you coming?”

        “Not without Kelvin.”

        “Problem?” Peter appears next to us. I didn’t even see him walk over.

        He is an inch or so shorter than Felix and looks a year younger, but he carries himself with authority. And I know that Peter is the leader, not Felix.

        I focus on his green eyes. “You can’t keep Kelvin here.”

        “He wants to stay, doesn’t he?” Peter flicks his hand at Felix. “We’re wasting time. I want you back here within the hour.”

        “Yes sir.” Felix throws his hood back on and moves toward me.

        “No! I am not going without Kelvin.”

        “Why?” Peter moves away, but his eyes stay on mine. He holds out his hands. “Is he your brother?”

        I push away from Felix. “No, I just met him yesterday. But we both belong to England. I don’t know who you think you are, but this place shouldn’t even be real. I am not leaving him here alone.”