Chapter 1

I am not alone anymore.

        It is strange that from one moment to the next, a stranger can become a friend. But that is what happened to me only a few minutes ago. The memory runs through my mind as the sun sinks out of sight.

        I hold my thimble up. The silver glints in the light of the lamppost.

        The boy next to me pushes dark curls out of his eyes. "A thimble? It looks like one of my mother's."

        "You knew your mother?" I glance at him and tuck the thimble back inside my pocket.

        He looks down. "Yes. Both my parents died three years ago."

        "Oh." I should say something, maybe apologize, but the words catch in my throat. He isn't the only one who has known sadness. "I never knew my parents."

        He leans his head against the wall. A moment of silence beats between us before he says, "You didn't tell me your name."

        "I am Wendy. Wendy Darling." It's rather a pretty name, not fit for the dirty girl who bears it. But it's all my parents bothered to give me before they abandoned me.

        "I'm Kelvin." He sticks out his hand and the action forces a smile onto my face. Courtesy on the street is unexpected. But then again, I did just save him.

        "Who was that man chasing you?"

        "Oh. He was Mr. Spears from the orphanage. I should have known someone would see me leave. I have tried to run away before. If you hadn't pulled me into this alley... Well, I don't know what he would have done to me. I never liked him. He's the type of man who does more than yell." Kelvin runs his fingers over a bruise on his arm.

        "I know what it's like. I spent my first thirteen years in an orphanage. The streets aren't any better though. You have more freedom, but it is dangerous."

        Kelvin yawns and wraps his arms around his knees. "Thank you for saving me."

        I shrug. "Any time."

        A minute later the boy is asleep. I study his face. He's probably only twelve. Too young for this life.

        In the distance Big Ben chimes. The moon shifts behind a cloud. And a forgotten boy and girl sleep in one of London's many alleys.

**

         A noise jolts me awake.

        I lurch forward. "What is it? What's wrong?"

        Kelvin winces. "I didn't mean to wake you."

        "Not your fault. I've always been a light sleeper." Another side effect from living on the streets. I groan and rub my hands over my eyes.

        "Do you hear it? Do you hear the music?" He crouches next to me. Shadows fall over his face.

        I tilt my head to one side. A soft melody drifts through the darkness. "Yes, I do."

        "Where is it coming from?"

        "I don't know. Do you want to find out?"

        "Yes!" Kelvin says.

        I stand up, "All right, but we must be careful. Keep quiet." We creep around the corner, following the music.

        "Look over there!" Kelvin points at a figure perched on one of the walls.

        "Shh." I grab Kelvin's shoulder. "We don't know him. He might hurt us."

        "But he's playing the music." Kelvin whispers.

        I look back up at the person, his face obscured by a hood. His pipe fills the air around us with a haunting song. "Let's go." Even though I speak quietly, my voice reverberates through the dark corner.

        Grabbing Kelvin's hand, I yank him away from the stranger.

        But it is too late.

        The musician jumps down from the wall and lands lightly next to me. "Who are you?" His eyes are eager and bright, focused not on Kelvin-but on me.

        Fear, such a familiar sensation, curls inside me. "I'm sorry. We heard your music."

        "You both heard it?" His pipe hangs around his neck, already forgotten. He continues to stare at me, but his eyes are somewhere far away. "It worked!" He adds softly.

        He doesn't look that much older than me. Even though he is slender, he is strong. If there is a fight, I won't be winning it. We have to get out of here.

        "Come on, Kelvin."

        My words snap the stranger out of his thoughts. "No, I am here for the boy." His long fingers curl around Kelvin's arm.

        "Let him go!" I scream and jerk at his arm, but his hand doesn't budge.

        Kelvin squirms under his grip. "Are you from the orphanage? I won't go back! I won't!"

        "No, I'm not an adult. My name is Felix. I am one of the lost boys from Neverland."

        "Neverland?" Kelvin stops moving, his eyes wide with curiosity. "What's that?"

        "It's an island."

        "There is no Neverland in England." I take a deep breath. "Let us go!"

        "You may leave, little girl. But he is coming with me." Felix leans down and meets Kelvin's eyes. "Neverland is the land of the lost boys. It is an island where there are no adults and no one ever grows up."

        "No adults? No growing up?" Kelvin whispers, his voice full of excitement, "No stuffy orphanages or dirty streets?"

        I step between them. "Don't listen to him, Kelvin! He's lying."

        "All I say I is true." Felix looks at me. He pauses for a second. The pale moonlight slants over his face, baring a nasty scar that curls over his cheek.

        I don't know what to do. If I scream for help, who will come? I take a step back and try to think.

        The stranger's lips stretch into a grin. He knows he's won. "Come with me, boy, and let's have some fun." He watches me carefully, as if calculating my next move.

        "Yes." Kelvin smiles and stands in front of Felix.

        "Stop! You can't take him with you!"

        "Watch me." Felix grabs Kelvin's wrist and lurches into the air. I throw myself forward and grab his other arm.

        We fly into the night sky.

        I scream and kick my feet. The ground shrinks as wind rushes around us. What's happening? What sort of nightmare is this?

        My heart beats wildly. This can't be happening. This isn't real.  This is a dream. It has to be.

        I tighten my grip. If he lets go, I'll fall.

        "Well, I guess you're coming with us. Just like I knew you would." Felix turns toward the dark sky and whispers, "Second star to the right." He pulls us higher. I can't see anything but gray clouds and bright stars. Somewhere in the distance Big Ben clangs again.

        Kelvin catches his breath as we careen directly towards the stars. Light bursts around us and I forget how to breathe.