Chapter 2 - The Aunt

Baby Amelia laid in her lifeless mothers arms. She closed her eyes and smiled, but her mother remained lifeless. The worried nurse rushed over to the child and picked her up. She carried Amelia out of the room with the loud sound of a flatline blaring behind her.

The baby was clothed in a small white shirt and a diaper that was a bit too big for her. The nurse laughed at the sight of this odd looking clothing on the small girl.

"What do we do with her?" asked the nurse to the headmistress. "I'm not sure yet" replied the headmistress " I do believe she has an aunt. Her name is Sharon, she is a wealthy woman who can care for the child. You are to contact her, immediately".

"Mrs. Sharon Pond?" asked the nurse into the phone " Oh, I am sorry. Mrs Sharon Longstead. How are you?". The sound of worried chattering rang from the hospital phone as she held the sleeping newborn.

" We have some bad news. Your sister... Has passed away... Giving birth to a child. You are her closest relative, her father being... Gone...and all. You are to take the child by sunrise tomorrow."

She put the child down in a hospital crib as the aunt took the bad news.

" I understand" replied Mrs. Longstead " I will be there tomorrow at eight".

The nurse hung up the phone and stared at Amelia, who seemed to be dreaming about pleasant things, as she smiled while she slept.

The nurse smiled in sympathy at the infant as she flicked off the lights. A purple and red night light shown stars and moons on the ceiling as it played a sweet lullaby.

" Good night Amelia" whispered the nurse. She closed the door as Amelia drifted off to sleep.