Nine: Birthday Present

Start from the beginning

"Ha, ha." I stuck my tongue out at him. "You like teas, so you'll be nice and drink it all."

But it didn't help. The day before Halloween, he felt so bad that he forbade me to come to him. He probably didn't want me to see him like this. I had the weekend to myself and made the best of it - celebrating my birthday in the common room.

It was crazy. The seventh-year students brought a lot of alcohol, I didn't think I have seen such an amount at once in the castle. I allowed everyone in their fourth year or higher, which young Malfoy didn't like very much, but I didn't care, he could go to his father to cry.

Lots of people danced. I think everyone expressed their wishes, but certainly not everyone did it sincerely. When from dancing (certainly not from Firewhiskey) my head started to spin, me and my friends took the sofas. There were everyone I cared about; Wilton, Brook, Jaylee and Ryley. Even my exes showed up.

But in the back of my head, a quiet voice kept me from forgetting Lupin.

I sneaked out when the others were too drunk to notice. I myself was probably too drunk to walk through the school corridors unnoticed, but I made it. I didn't knock on his apartment door until I got through the stairs, which was quite a challenge.

"Ethelyn?" He muttered in surprise. I couldn't get used to the way he pronounced my name. "What are you doing here at this hour?"

"I'm visiting my favourite teacher." I said with a smile.

He looked to see if there was anyone else there other than me and pulled me inside. His living room was different. As if a small hurricane had passed through it. Books were scattered on the floor, the couch was pushed against the wall and the coffee table was upside down.

I didn't pay much attention to it, because Lupin stood in front of me in all his sick glory. He looked like I had roused him from sleep. He was wearing only a t-shirt and shorts, which was such a change from his standard attire that I stared at him mindlessly. Probably with my mouth open.

"Did something happen?" He asked, looking for any signs of disturbance on my face.

I pointed a finger at his chest. "I threw a party and you're not there."

He frowned and rubbed his hand over his sleepy face. "You're drunk."

"And you're a Sherlock." I said ironically. I was surprised he didn't sense it immediately when he opened the door.

"Here, sit down." He grabbed my hand and led me to the couch, as if without his help I would fall. I did what he said, and then he pressed a glass into my hand. "Go ahead, drink up."

I held the glass closer. "Eww, it's water."

"Exactly. Drink." I rolled my eyes but drank it down. "Good girl." He was gone for a moment, but returned with another full glass and the blanket that he had wrapped around me.

"Come here." I pleaded in a squeaky voice, patting the empty seat next to me.

He sat down and wrapped his arms around me, drawing me to his chest. I rested my head on his shoulder. I wanted to share the blanket with him because he was very thinly dressed and the nights in the castle were cold, but I saw that he was wearing trousers now. I didn't even noticed when he got them on.

"Why did you come to me?" His voice was soft, calm. Compared to the loud music in the dungeons, it felt like he was putting me to sleep.

"I had to see how you were holding up." I simply stated.

He started stroking my head. "I'm better now."

"Because I'm here or...?"

He laughed. I felt his throat quiver. "It definitely helps."

It was like haven. It was peaceful, warm, and I felt taken care of. I felt loved. I grabbed his hand and held it against my cheek. I whispered into his palm "I'm so grateful I have you."

He was rather taken aback. "What caused this sudden release of feelings?"

"Look at you" I started, which was not a very good choice of words as Lupin still didn't looked his best, but I kept talking. "It's late, you've probably already slept and you're still not feeling well, but when I came to see you, you said nothing and just took me in. You're a kind soul."

He said nothing and kissed my forehead.

"No, I want a real kiss." I complained. I looked at the watch on his hand and stated "I'll be seventeen in thirteen minutes."

Lupin made a decision not to touch me until I was of age. It was annoying, but it spoke well of him. He was somewhat of an honourable man.

He grinned "How bad do you want it?"

He wanted to play with me. I wasn't in the mood. "You won't make me ask."

"Are you sure? I'm convinced that it takes two and I don't feel the need."

He was well aware of the impact he had on me. He challenged me, knowing that it wasn't about courage, but rather weakness. I had to give in to him to get what I wanted.

"Remus, please kiss me or I'll go mad." I murmured in his ear.

I didn't have to wait long for his reaction. He turned to me and pressed his lips against mine, both his hands on my cheeks. Suddenly I felt hot. I was overwhelmed by him, all of him. My hands slid into his soft hair, making a mess of his hairstyle. I needed him, I wanted him like nothing else in my life.

I slipped out from under the blanket and sat on his lap. I pulled him close. I needed intimacy, needed to feel his body, and nothing seemed to be enough. His hands landed on my hips, holding me firmly. I didn't know I could go that long without oxygen.

As I grabbed the edge of his T-shirt, he froze.

"What's wrong?" I whispered, breathless.

He grabbed my hands and kissed my knuckles. "Let's not rush it."

Energy buzzed inside me, emotions raged in my head. Was he kidding? "Are you kidding?"

His smile was shallow. "You got your birthday present. We should call it a night."

I didn't want to argue, so I just cuddled up to him. I nuzzled to his neck, which seemed to be my favourite place in his arms. He put his arms around me.

We stayed like that for a while, in silence, trying to enjoy our last moments when

He grabbed my shoulders and lifted me off the couch. "Someone's coming."

Nothing is more sobering than chilling panic.