The First Day of Our Forever

Start from the beginning

Sabito's gaze was as soft and delicate as morning dew, but it overwhelmed Giyuu with the quiet melancholy of a winter snow. "On second thought, let's have a proper breakfast." Giyuu sat up. He grabbed Sabito's hands and pulled him upright. "Come on. I'm not going let you laze around."

Sabito sat up, but immediately drooped forward and rested his head on Giyuu's shoulder. "I'm sorry. I wanted to do better than this."

Giyuu shook his head. "It's okay. You're just having a bad morning. We've had bad mornings before. We'll get through." Giyuu helped Sabito sit up against the headboard. "Wait here. We'll have breakfast in bed after all." Giyuu headed into the kitchen.

As soon as Giyuu was out of sight, Sabito curled up into a ball, his face pinched into a grimace. A tear snuck out of the corner of his eye. He took several deep breaths to steady himself. After another few minutes, he hoisted himself to the edge of the bed. "A proper breakfast..." Sabito said to himself. "I can do that much for him."

By the time Sabito shuffled into the kitchen, the aroma of Giyuu's culinary efforts had filled the apartment. Coffee was brewing. The first pancake was rising in the pan.

"Hey, I said I'd bring breakfast to you," Giyuu said.

Sabito peered over Giyuu's shoulder at the pale, yellow batter ballooning before them. "That looks surprisingly good."

"Surprisingly?" Giyuu gave Sabito a gentle poke with his elbow.

Sabito wrapped his arms around Giyuu's waist and rested his head on his shoulder. Giyuu could feel his labored breaths, could feel the disturbingly slight weight of him.

"What will you remember most about me, Giyuu?" Sabito asked.

Giyuu's chest tightened, his muscles tensed. He bopped Sabito on the head with the spatula handle. "Don't ask questions like that. I don't like it."

"Promise you won't remember me like this. Remember me like I was."

"Why should I promise that when you're not going anywhere?"

Sabito leaned into Giyuu, as if he needed him for support. "I think you need to flip it."

"What?"

"The pancake."

"Oh." Giyuu grabbed the spatula and flipped the pancake. "Not bad, eh?"

Sabito kissed Giyuu on the cheek. "It's perfect."

Giyuu felt Sabito's body grow suddenly heavy. His arms dropped from Giyuu's waist. Giyuu turned, scooped his arms around Sabito's slumping body. "Sabito!"

Sabito clutched Giyuu's shirt, blinked until he could see clearly. "I'm feeling a bit tired. I think I need to sit down."

Giyuu helped Sabito to the sofa and set him down. "You just need to eat something. I'll go make you a plate quick. You want juice or water?" Giyuu turned toward the kitchen.

Sabito grabbed Giyuu's hand. "Stay with me."

"You need to eat. That's why you're feeling weak."

Sabito tugged Giyuu's arm. "Please."

"At least have some juice. I know you'll perk up—"

"Giyuu."

Giyuu sat on the couch. Sabito laid down and put his head on Giyuu's lap.

"Promise me you won't feel guilty. None of this is your fault," Sabito said.

"Stop it. Please. I don't like the way you're talking."