The Promise

"Fuck this headache!"

Chimon's senses were provoked in the middle of the night by a pulsating head pain that disturbed his deep rest. He clutched his hair as he suffers from the crippling pain. He felt like there were metal chains wrapped tightly around his head.

Dark clouds dimmed the illuminating light of the moon and poured heavy rain. And loud rumble of thunders overpowered Chimon's voices of agony.

Not being able to function normally, Chimon hardly stood and walked out of his bed to go to the kitchen and drink some meds. He was careful not to lose his balance while walking as he does not want his condo room to be stained with his own blood.

After getting back to his bed, Chimon took a glimpse of his phone from the nightstand and squinted his eyes to check the time and browse his socials.

As he gets bored of scrolling, he placed it back to the nightstand, settled on his back, and stared blankly at the ceiling.

Pattering raindrops and loud cracks of thunder were the prevailing noises that he can hear. And the only source of light that illuminates from the window beside his bed were the sparks of lightning that strike every few seconds. For him, this type of weather soothes him. He lulled himself by listening carefully to the sound of nature.

He stayed in his position and waited for the medicine tablet to take effect. He let out a deep sigh as soon as he felt the relief, closed his eyes, and let his body reach the state of calmness. But his rest was again disturbed, not by a headache, but a knock from the door.

Chimon's body quickly transitioned from lying on his back to a sitting position. There was a combination of shock and confusion found on his face.

"Who the hell is still up at this ungodly hour?" he uttered to himself as he heads to the front door.

He's a bit hesitant to open it. An unusual emotion was developed as soon as he came near to it; a feeling that's actually far from being scared of whoever is standing outside.

At that point, Chimon can feel his heart trying to escape out of his chest. He looked down, closed his eyes, and clenched his fists to gain enough courage to welcome his unknown guest.

"Why am I feeling like this?"

With a trembling hand, he slowly reached to the knob and twisted open the door.

"What took you so long to open it.."

Along the darkness of the hallway, a familiar manly figure was seen. Chimon slowly moved his eyes to the figure and he struggled to recognize it. But with the help of a lightning strike, he easily identified the person as soon as the light flashed across the room.

Chimon's eyes glisten because of tears that started to form and his muscles became rigid.

"Nanon..?" Chimon's word barely in a whisper.

"Did you miss me?" said Nanon, now walking closer to him.

Nanon wiped Chimon's tears the moment they began to fall down in his cheeks. "Don't cry.. I'm here now."

"I've missed you so much." Chimon, his face now buried in Nanon's shoulder, cried out and tightly wrapped his arms around the other's waist. "To the point that I would do anything... just to see you again. Where have you been?"

The latter hugged back and gently caressed his back. "I won't leave anymore."

The two pulled away from the hug and let their eyes meet. Those were the eyes that Chimon was longing for for the longest time.

The eyes that speak to him.

And the eyes that bring happiness to him.

"It's really you.." Chimon beamed as he caresses the other's face.

"Didn't I make a promise that I will be back?" said Nanon teasingly.

They found themselves embracing each other's body again. "Let's stay like this for a moment.. don't pull away until I say so, please.." Chimon said with the softest voice he can.

Everything felt so magical and unreal. But it didn't last long. In a flash, the person in front of Chimon disappeared. He desperately looked into the emptiness of the hallway, but he saw nothing. Nanon just vanished into thin air and left no trace.

Engulfed in raging emotion, Chimon tried to scream on the top of his lungs.

"NON!!!"

***

"NON-"

Chimon snapped back into reality and found himself screaming on his bed. Traces of tears can be found on his temples. He's chasing his breath like he's gone from a run. He can still feel the tight hug that embraced every inch of his body. The dream was so vivid that if he would be asked to narrate it, he would not miss a detail.

Nanon indeed did not break his promise. Even at his afterlife, he's still visiting Chimon in his dreams.

—— end