009 ‑ Broken Friendships and Daddy Issues.

Start from the beginning

There was nothing I could say. It's not like I didn't see anything wrong with it. There were a lot of things wrong with what Tekena did, so many things. His methods of "handling things" were so unorthodox, it made me wonder about the things that go on in his head. But the fact that he does all of it for me, just for me, I was ready to overlook every other thing.

That guy had my back, no question. He was loyal to me and that was all that mattered.

"Hilary was first your friend before you guys started dating. She was even your first friend. That alone should have told you something, but I'm guessing it didn't."

"Don't undermine what Hilary and I had. Don't do that." I told him, jabbing his chest with my index finger while he looked on, looked at me like I had lost it, before scoffing.

"I'm not undermining your feelings for Hilary. You did that all on your own when you left her high and dry after her brother died. But I'm guessing Tekena Tamuno told you to do that too, didn't he." His tone was laced with pure, undiluted sarcasm. Still, I didn't respond, just kept my eyes on him. Then, he started laughing. A burst of dry, humorless laughter.

"You know what's even busting my brain." It was more of a statement than a question, so I didn't respond still. "The fact that you still have his back... you are still his friend... you keep defending the asshole, even after what he did to Dawn." That made my heart clench.

What Tekena did to Dawn...

No one should ever have to go through that. Ever.

"T-That..." I stuttered out and he looked at me with a raised brow, "That wasn't my fault."

Was what escaped my lips before I could stop it. Kizito looked shocked, I was too. I can't believe I said that. It was purely and completely insensitive. Kizito's shock didn't last for long before his expression contorted into a grimace and he looked at me with so much disdain.

"You are such a coward." He spat out with so much venom, and he started advancing towards me again. "I honestly want to punch you again, so that you will come to your fucking senses. Gosh! You are so..."

"Kizito." A familiar voice called to him in caution and we both looked at the entrance of the Principal's office to see Gigi standing there, staring at us. I wondered how long she was standing there and how much she heard.

She walked towards us and moved to stand between the both of us just in case Kizito tries anything else. But I knew he was smart enough to know when and where he should fight and shouldn't. He wouldn't do it in the Administration block. He wouldn't dare. I wouldn't provoke him either but I guess that's all I've been doing since the beginning of the week.

Provoking him.

"Your fingers are shaking," Gigi started to say, talking to Kizito and disregarding me. "You probably sprained them, which means you shouldn't be punching anyone with that hand. No matter how much he deserves it." That last statement was channeled to me, the stink eye she flashed me thereafter confirming it.

Which meant she probably heard everything we were talking about.

Fucking Fantastic.

"That's not a problem," Kizito answered, keeping his blazing eyes directly on me even when he was speaking to her. "I'd use my other fist." He lunged forward and I veered back on impulse. But Gigi's hand immediately flew to his chest, stopping him from going any further.

My heart was thumping too fast, it seemed like they were about to burst out of my chest.

"Stop."

Was all she had to say for Kizito to halt in his advance towards me. For once, Kizito took his eyes away from mine and looked at Gigi. I don't know what else she did, what else she said to him, or maybe it was the way she looked at him that made him relax. He visibly relaxed, his eyes still trained on hers.