Ch. 10: Wedding Day Danger Looms

Start from the beginning

But George Lawrence cannot foresee anything less than a life for a life to feel that his brother's death will be avenged. In recent years, he has envisioned several schemes that would involve the death of Lord Edward Carlisle—a person he despises and a name whom he views with disgust. Yet, he also could not see how he would not be blamed for the death and end up hanging from the hangman's noose. So he has put off his actions, time and again.

But no longer, upon the now sixteen year old George Lawrence's reading in the newspaper this week--and hearing more at ton events--about the upcoming wedding of Lord Edward the Viscount Carlisle to Lady Emily Creighton, he is determined to do something. In his fevered brain, all he can focus upon is an eye for an eye, as the bible says. And he begins to plot just what he will do.

***

With her Saturday wedding to Lord Edward the Viscount Carlisle occurring in the short span of two days from now, Lady Emily Creighton is awash in wedding planning—and gift receiving. Ever since their wedding was officially announced in the newspaper, their family and friends--and friends of friends—have sent their well wishes and gifts ranging from the small and delicate silver salt spoons from the Millbury family to a wide chaise longue day bed that she had never before seen the like of that was gifted from their good friend and cousin Lord Kittredge Wells. Well, thinks Lady Emily, at least her cousin Kitt made sure that the daybed was long enough to accommodate her Lord Edward's tall height.

And though the volume of cards and letters has increased greatly to their home in anticipation of their daughter's wedding, Lady Patience Creighton and her husband Lord Creighton continue their perusal and filtering of what their daughter sees of it—as they always have of mail she receives. Their protection of their daughter and her maiden sensibilities is quite all encompassing. But, they cannot review everything, and an innocuous looking missive on fine ivory colored velum stationary slips past their review and ends up in a wicker basket of cards and letters received and yet to be opened with the wedding gifts spread out upon the Creighton Family's larger Dining Room's table and throughout the room.

So the Thursday before her wedding, Lady Emily and her cousin Lord Kittredge Wells take a turn about the Creighton's larger Dining Room, marveling at all they see, and then sit down to open the cards. Or in the case of Lord Kittredge, he lies down upon the daybed he gifted them with

Lady Emily: "Oh Kitt! Look here, it is a note from my old governess Miss. Hermione Rakestraw, now Mrs. Littlefield the past year! She says that she wishes that she and her husband could join me for my wedding, but that she has entered her confinement as she and her new husband of one year expect their first child soon. Oh! And she sent me a pretty lace hankie embroidered with deep blue flowers for my something blue. How kind and thoughtful of her." Lady Emily sighs girlishly as she hopes to be able to visit with her old governess after her baby is born. She sets that envelope and letter aside, to take to her room—since it is a very personal note from her old friend and governess.

Lord Kittredge: "Ah! I see, very nice, Emmy." Lord Kittredge believes the small gift to be a sentimental one, but he could have done without the mention of her former governess' confinement. But he perceives that he will have to accustom himself to such an event when Edward and Emmy eventually give him nieces and nephews as their honorary uncle.

Each of them selects and opens two more cards and letters with many good wishes for the bride and groom. Then Lady Emily notices that her cousin and good friend Lord Kittredge seems frozen whilst reading a letter of a single folded sheet of fine ivory stationery [(2) above right], and his face goes very pale.

Lady Emily: "Are feeling ill, Kitt? Your face is very pale." She asks in concern.

Lord Kittredge: "What? Oh! Uhh, Emmy, I was thinking of something else we have yet to do, select your wedding present for Lord Edward." He states rather jerkily—rather than his usual smooth voice, as if he is unnerved by something. And he is.