Chapter 10.2 (Part 2)

A warning bell rang in Jane's mind. Apparently, she was slipping she usually sensed when someone was going to make a move on her. She'd assumed Mark saw her as no more than a friend and client. Sure, they'd flirted a little, but she'd kept it light and impersonal. At least, she thought she had.

   "I enjoy being with you, too, Mark," she said briskly. "It's nice when you can be friends and professional associates."

   "Maybe we could have dinner one night next week? I mean, since we enjoy spending time together and we're already friends..."

   Mark must have been one of the few people not plugged into the Honoria grapevine. Either that, or he was ignoring reports that she had been seeing Tyler. "Thank you for asking, Mark, but I—"

   The doorbell cut into her tactful reply. Tyler was early, after all. What interesting timing.

   "That will be my dinner guest," she said, standing. "And, Mark—it's Tyler Hamilton."

   He grimaced, his arm falling to his side. "Oh, boy."

   "Be nice," she said, pointing a warning finger at him. "This is not a courtroom and you aren't adversaries here."

   Mark stood and slipped the form back into his jacket pocket. "I'll be going. There's no way I can make small talk with that bloodsucker."

   Resisting an impulse to roll her eyes, Jane opened the door. "Hi, Ty."

   "Whose car is that—oh." Tyler's face hardened when he spotted Mark over her shoulder.

   Apparently keeping Jane's instructions in mind, Mark nodded stiffly. "Tyler."

   Tyler hadn't been given orders to "be nice." "What are you doing here?"

   "Mark is here on business," Jane interceded quickly. "He was just leaving."

   Tyler steppes into the room, clearing the doorway. "Don't let me detain you."

   Mark turned pointedly to Jane. "Thanks for the coffee."

   She nodded. "Give me a call if there's anything else I needed to sign. I'd be happy to stop by your office and save you a trip."

   It was a gentle hint, but she hoped it got through.

   From the way Mark's mouth twisted, she assumed it had. "Good night, Jane."

   He exchanged look with Tyler in his way out, but they refrained from further comments, to Jane's relief.

   She turned to Tyler after Mark left. "Well. That was pleasant."

   "Did you know he was coming?"

   "No. He stopped on his way home. He had a form for me to sign."

   "Was that his excuse?"

   "He has a form for me to sign," she repeated firmly.

   "I hope you read it very carefully."

   His suspicious tone might have been amusing if he hadn't looked to grim. "I read the form," she assured him. "Now, would you like dinner, or would you rather stand here and bash my accountant?"

   Though he looked tempted by the latter, he motioned toward the kitchen. "Let's eat."