Chapter 5.4

Jane's curiosity had not yet been satisfied. "Have you decided to stay in Honoria permanently now, or will you go back to Washington eventually?"

   "I have no plans to go back. My father's been working twelve-hour days long enough. He's needed a partner for several years. When he's ready to retire, I'll take over the practice."

   "Handling divorces and bankruptcies in Honoria is a lot different from dealing with affairs of state in the nation's capital. Are you sure it's enough for you?"

   "I'm confident it will be, especially combined with the responsibility of raising kids."

   "Tell me about the new nanny. Do the children like her?"

   "Her name is Tara Barns. She moved to town last year with her husband, who works at the O'Neal's Lumberyard. Their only son is in college now, but Tara likes kids and enjoys taking care of them. I wanted someone more mature this time, and she came highly recommended. Amy's taken to her easily enough—but then, Amy likes everybody."

   "She's such a sweetheart. What about Tom? Has he taken to Tara, too?"

   Tyler had to make an effort not to sigh. "Tom doesn't accept newcomers into his life easily. It seems that his shyness grows worse with time rather than better."

   "I haven't noticed him being overly shy."

   That's because he isn't with you. He too to you right away."

And Tyler couldn't quite explain it-except to decide that whatever magic Jane worked on him was equally potent to his son.

   "He's an adorable little boy, Ty. So bright and observant. And Amy's an angel. You're doing a wonderful job with them."

   Tyler was surprised by how much her works touched him. "Thanks," he said, his tone gruffest than he'd intended. "I'm doing my best. And I have a lot of help from my parents. Mother can be a handful at enormous help to me with the kids."

   "I'm sure she has. Debbie is one of the most efficient and competent people I've ever met."

   "Not to mention the bossiest," Tyler added with affectionate irony.

   Jane laughed softly. "That, too. What about the children's other grandparents? Do they get to see them often?"

   Tyler's smile faded. "My wife's mother passed away several years ago. Her father is still living, but in poor health. We wee him very rarely."

   The young man who'd served them all evening appeared at the table with a carafe in his hand. "More coffee, folks?"

   Tyler and Jane both accepted the offer. Tyler, for one, was in no hurry to leave. However, he had not planned to spend so much time talking about his children. And certainly not about Stephanie, or her family. He'd intended to keep this evening strictly between himself and Jane.

   "What about you?" He asked, watching her sip her coffee. "Has talking about New York this evening given you a ten to go back?"

   "I'll go back to New York—if for nothing more than holiday visits. But for now, I'm content where I am. I'm spending the summer resting, painting, catching up on my reading, making new friends in town. And I'm really looking forward to starting the new school year, and putting together my own productions from scratch."

   "Painting?" He asked, zeroing in on that one word.

   "Yes. I've always enjoyed working with oils on canvas, but I haven't had much time for it during the past few years. I'm certainly I great artist, but it's a pleasant hobby."

   "I'd like to see you work."

   "Why, certainly. I would love to show you my work," she almost purred, giving him a heavy-lidded look over her coffee cup. "And maybe I'll show you my paintings sometime, too."

   Damn it, she'd done it again. Caught him off guard with a sexy laugh, a sizzling look and a blatant innuendo. Someday soon he just might surprise her and call her bluff when she got in one of these teasing moods. He wonders if she would still laugh at him then.

   The niggling thought that she just might made him scowl.

   Her laughter rippled through him again. "Poor, Tyie. Have I embarrassed you again?"

   He leveled a look at her across the table. "You May call me Tyler, or Ty, if you insist. But I'll be damned if I answer to 'Tyie.'"

   "I'll try not to forget that," she promised, her eyes dancing.

   "See that you don't."

   To his relief, she dropped the flirting and started talking about a controversial new ordinance in Honoria city council was considering. It didn't particularly surprise him that she could switch that quickly from foolishness to small-town politics. Tyler had never questioned Jane's intelligence. And if there was one thing he had learned to expect from her, it was the unexpected.