Chapter 29

Silence lay thick throughout the house as my heart pounded erratically. It felt like an eternity but was probably only a few seconds until I heard my mother’s still heel clad feet heading my way. I kept my gaze at waist height avoiding eye contact with her as she came to a stop a few feet from me.

“Oh so you are home, you know for once it would be nice if you would respond when I talk to you because right now I might as well be talking to the wall” she exclaimed her words coming out slightly slurred.

She’s drunk no surprise there. She still had her cast on her broken leg and a ridiculous heel on her other foot.

“What’s that on your face?” she asked coming closer making me step back until my back was firmly pressed against the front door.

Hastily I tried to wipe the paint off my face as she took another step toward me. Realising I had backed myself into a corner I dodged to my left and around her outstretched arm and headed for the stairs and my still partially painted room.

“Roxanne! You come back here right now!” she shouted as I reached the top of the stairs.

“That’s right run away like a little kid, when are you going to grow up and stop this stupid act!” she shouted as I reached my room and slammed it behind me.

I leant against my closed door and pulled in some hasty breaths as my heart pounded frantically and his ring lay cold against my heated skin. The ring that I will carry forever, like a brand and a constant reminder. That’s why I can’t grow up and get over this act, because I will never forget and I shouldn’t. I have no right to go on with my life and pretend like it didn’t happen, because it happened and it was my fault.

Shaking off the morbid thoughts that held me captive in my own mind I reached over to my stereo and turned the volume up until I can only focus on the words of the music and picked up one of the discarded paint brushes.

Faith When I Fall

I know its been a long time

since the last time we talked.

I know I’ve been a stranger

and thats all my fault.

And asking you for anything

don’t really seem right.

But the winds of change are blowing

So I’m begging you tonight.

Give me love, when I aint got nobody.

A little hope, when I aint got none at all.

Give me light, up ahead on the journey.

Give me strength when Im standing, and faith when I fall.

I know the rain is coming

and its sure gonna pour.

I know there aint no runnin

from this kind of storm

its gonna get harder and harder

to keep on pushing through.

Im gonna want to quit

so I’ll be countin on you.

Give me love, when I ain’t got nobody.

A little hope, when I aint got none at all.

Give me light, up ahead on the journey.

Give me strength when Im standing, and faith when I fall.