Messy Boots

"See I know what we've got to do
You let go (you let go), and I'll let go too (and I'll let go)
'Cause no one's hurt me more than you
And no one ever will..."

Lauryn Hill – "Ex-Factor"

Ororo Munroe pulled down on her white off-the-shoulder dress to make sure that her thighs weren't too revealing. She purposely chose the Kenyan couture look because it made her silky dark mahogany skin pop with her silvery-white hair. She flat-ironed her curly mane before braiding it into several long braids the week before. When she undid her handiwork, her tresses cascaded down her back like a soft cloudy dream.

"I hope these damn speeches don't drag on tonight," a gruff voice said next to her.

Ororo glanced to her left in the back of the private SUV.

Prince Erik Udaku...actually, Ambassador Erik Udaku-Stevens, sat next to her with his lip twisted into a scowl as he stared out of his passenger side window. Erik's dark locs were twisted in three thick cornrows tied in the back. His suit was tailor-made by the finest sartorial hands in Birnin Bashenga, an eastern city in Wakanda. He sat his right hand on his knee and she saw the onyx and vibranium ring on his finger that once belonged to his father, the beloved N'Jobu Udaku. The Rebel War Dog. Erik's feral eyes met hers and a sly smile crept over his lush lips as he took in her dress.

"You really are trying to rub it in, huh?" he said.

His grin widened, and she saw the new vibranium and rhodium/gold alloy slugs on his top and bottom teeth. Despite the dimples and groomed beard, his teeth denoted a menacing quality to his regal frame. Erik was always coiled to strike. It was his nature.

She ignored his question and focused her attention on the building they were headed to. Outside the SUV, wind shook the vehicle, and she saw large dark clouds on the horizon ushering in rain and more wind. It settled over the place they were moving closer to. The U.N. was presenting a United Nations Special Service Medal to Steve Rogers, Captain America, along with four other Honorees for work done in the Middle East. Wakanda played a hidden role in the success of that work, but opted to stay out of gaining attention or accolades. There were already grumblings by the U.N. elite, and the U.S. in particular about Wakanda becoming too influential in too many world affairs, so King T'Challa Udaku found it prudent to work quietly.