"Yes," breathed Susanna. "Her name is Amélie Archambeau."

The moment she uttered the name of Alex's mother, Susanna could see the recognition in the eyes of Captain Whitfield. She could also see that he now believed what she had been saying. He remembered Amélie, no matter how long ago their meeting was. But Susanna also had confirmation that her hunch was correct. This man was Alex's father. What divine fortune it was to have discovered him.

"Amélie," uttered Captain Whitfield. "It has been such a long time ..." he stopped, sucking in tight gasp. "But ... a son. Her son. My son. I have a son." Each realisation seemed to hit him one after the other. "Tell me of him," he suddenly demanded. "What news of him? Where is he? Does he know of me? Does he want to know me?"

Susanna wished that Alex were here to witness this concern from his father. Captain Whitfield was worried that Alex didn't want to know him. Susanna knew that Alex had never known much care, and that this would mean a great deal to him.

And the gravity of the fact that Alex was not here weighed upon Susanna heavily in that moment as her eyes filled with tears. Suddenly overwhelmed, she turned to her brother and rested her forehead on his arm, shielding her face.

"We came to meet your son this past summer in London," Adam explained. "My sister, Lady Susanna, and Alex became quite attached to one another. But Alex was under the control of a ... well," he paused, "he was nothing more than a rat, but this rat, nonetheless, sold Alex into slavery a few months ago."

Susanna looked up tentatively, and she saw the captain's face fall with shock.

"Sold?" he struggled to say.

"Yes," Susanna stammered. "He was sold, but he was a free man. He was very proud of his freedom. Despite this, he was taken to the British Virgin Islands. I don't know when he would have reached there, or how far it is from here, but we can't waste another minute."

"You have just arrived from the British Virgin Islands, we understand," added Adam. "Is it part of your route? Could we persuade you to give us passage? You certainly have the incentive."

But the captain did not respond. In fact, he was frozen still, his jaw agape as he stared, once again, in shock at Adam and Susanna.

Susanna knew his struggle. She had been suffering the same worry for months, and it was now only beginning to plague Captain Whitfield. "Please, Captain," implored Susanna. "Will you help him?"

"I think I already have."

Susanna was not entirely certain that she had understood what the captain had just said. Adam seemed as equally perplexed.

Captain Whitfield braced himself on the railing that overlooked Rue Bourbon, turning away from Adam and Susanna. He hung his head as he breathed deeply. "My ship was docked in Road Town, that's the main port city in the British Virgin Islands, a few weeks ago. On that day, I don't know what day exactly, but another ship had arrived, and it carried slaves, half a dozen or so."

Susanna's heart stopped.

"You have to understand, it's not unusual in these parts. Doesn't make it right, but it's not unusual. These people, these poor people are bought and sold all the time, and this lot were no different.

"One of the men, he stuck out to me. He was tall and strong, and he stood with great pride despite what they were doing to ..." Captain Whitfield stopped himself, but Susanna wanted to beg him to continue only she had no air in her lungs to speak. "Well, what they do is inhuman."

Tears continued to roll silently down Susanna's cheeks as she could only imagine.

"He and another, a young girl, were sold to a master on the island. One man named Harold Wilkes. An absolute bastard, though that is honestly too good a name for him. I prayed for them both, for a lack of knowing what else to do.