✔XL - The Gaze of A Hawkeye

Start from the beginning

"But you are forgetting about your people, Billard." Demian said, "I still have time but the people might not."

"What do you mean?"

"When Master Valentine informed me of the unusual activities, I told him to keep a close watch on them."

"And I found this morning that they were taking children and women into a ship." Master valentine said, making Billard shocked.

"Slaves?" He asked.

Demian leaned back to his chair as he said, "It might be and by the way Lord Heartstone reacted, I am certain that he knows something."

Billard looked at his fists as it was an unfortunate situation. His forehead throbbed with pain. He had to make sure Demian was safe until his birthday and the war the commoners would wage and now, the illegal trading. He thought every other problem was landing on his head.

He tried to think if he could send someone in Demian's place. Master valentine and Alonzo would be better options but with the growing affairs in Dragon city, he needed him. Alonzo looked after his other states and would occasionally go out to collect the taxes so he would be busy. He couldn't possibly let Lord Accoridin to go there as he was just like Heartstone but a bit cunning.

Only option would be Casian. He could rely on Casian.

"I think Casian would be suited for this job." Billard said and Demian's head snapped at him.

"What? Why?"

"He might seem like a playful irresponsible person but he is the future Duke and knows how to handle everything." Billard had been watching him after his marriage and knew he was smart and quite capable. He got reports on how he tackled his state affairs quite efficiently.

"If he is going then I will be going as well."

"Bu—"

"It would be like killing two birds with one stone. The people will get moral support that their future King is reliable and even when he is busy, he will keep his eyes there when they are in need." Demian said.

Master Valentine nodded, "Prince Demian is right, your Highness. It would help their rage to go down and our decision will be followed immediately."

Billard knew it was a wise decision but it would also put his dear brother in grave danger. He took a deep breath and said, "But I will still send Casian with you."

Demian was about to retort but stopped when he found Billard's worried face. The dark bags under his eyes and all of the things were creating pressure on him. He didn't like Casian but if he would not poke his nose into his business Demian had no problems with him. However, the way he was eyeing Seraphina tickled his skin. He had something in his mind and it could be dangerous for Seraphina.

"Well, Casian is also a good swordsman and if anything happens he might save you."

Demian cringed his nose. Casian saving him! He might as well choose death before it happens.

"Then shall I inform Princess Seraphina?" Master valentine asked.

"She is a good fighter I get it wo—"

"No!" Demian said.

"Pardon, your Highness... Why wouldn't you want to take Princess Seraphina with you?" Master Valentine asked if it would be better if Seraphina went with him as well, that's the reason she was a secret guard.

"Because it would be dangerous for her and she should stay here." Demian recalled how badly injured she was and he was one step closer to losing her. He felt a pang in his heart at the flashes of his memories. He didn't want that anymore. He knew she would always embrace trouble before her life so it would be better if she stayed here. And besides, his curse marks and the occasional pain of it were increasing. He didn't want to entangle her. What if he went berserk?