Part 9: Dark Power

Start from the beginning

After the battle in the Myre Daubeny allowed us to come with him to Ashfeld with his protection. In return I agreed to help him reclaim his fortress.

On our march through Ashfeld smoke could be seen and crows could be heard in the distance.

"What is that about?"

I rode right beside Daubeny who was to my left.

Daubeny: "There must have been a battle between the Blackstone's and Iron Legion again"

"Should we check it out?"

Daubeny: "I guess so. Probably won't be anything left to salvage"

"Let's go"

We rode with our small army to the source of the smoke. When we arrived at the source the smell in the air was awful. Burned and rotting flesh filled the air. Many of my men put hands over their noses and some vomited on the ground.

Daubeny chuckled and dismounted.

Daubeny: "Follow me. Your men can leave"

I nodded and dismounted as well. Daubeny walked through the completely burned village. I followed close behind. What happened here was a massacre.

Daubeny knelt down beside a dead body and observed the cuts on it.

Daubeny: "Interesting"

"What?"

Daubeny: "These cuts couldn't have been made by a normal sword"

He looked up to me.

"Uh... care to elaborate?"

Daubeny: "These cuts are too clean"

"They look normal to me"

Daubeny: "Look closer. See how these men are wearing leather and steel armor? Yes a sword or an axe could cut through it but the wounds would be a little more shallow and jagged. These are too clean"

I leaned down and saw what Daubeny meant. This was strange. I lifted my head and saw a black iron helmet a few feet away. I stood up and walked to it. I picked it up.

Nearly a whole front half of the helmet was gone. I stared into the helmet and felt something. I felt a dark feeling in my chest.

Daubeny came up behind me and looked at the helmet.

Daubeny: "Elias put that down right now"

I looked over to Daubeny.

"Why?"

Daubeny: "Because that dark feeling we are having is only made by one thing. Well person really. So put it down"

I did as told and dropped the helmet. It hit the ground hard and a small amount of tan-gold smoke arose from the large open hole in the faceplate.

Daubeny: "I'll tell you why that thing needs to go"

Daubeny kicked the helmet away and looked to me.

Daubeny: "It was rumored that long ago when the three territories, Ashfeld, Valkenheim and the Myre were founded there was a powerful golden sphere found in a specific place in Ashfeld. The golden piece was said to have been made of ancient technology, and was fought and bled over"

"What did this sphere do exactly?"

Daubeny: "The sphere wask told to have powers that could surpass any witchcraft or strength"

Daubeny knelt down to ground and rubbed the ash mixed dirt in between his index finger and thumb.

Daubeny: "When the sphere was found found however, it was said that it could speak to people in whispers. Telling the listener what to do. For example, the first person to find it was rumored to have killed their entire living bloodline because it had told them to do so. These types of events kept happening which then resulted in the Order of the Wardens being formed"