✔XXXIX - The Conference Part II

Start from the beginning

"And how do you think, without tax one could manage the large establishments, maintaining big armies?" Lord Accoridin challenged, "A kingdom doesn't work a day without money." He looked at her in mockery, "Well, I certainly don't know how poor countries work but we need more resources to build our defenses for who knows, when the enemy might come."

He was rather proud of himself and he certainly had a point which gave Heartstone a smug look on his face; however, Seraphina wasn't finished yet and certainly, not Demian.

"I haven't said to abolish the tax for a long time. It would be wise to abolish the taxes for a few months and as soon as the situation settled down, raise it to minimum so they can pay. Also, taking away their lands means taking away the food from their plates." Seraphina added, "I get it your defence and armies are most important but if all the farmers stopped working, how will you feed your big armies?"

All of their eyes were boring holes in Seraphina and it seemed Casian was a bit impressed at her words. 

Heartstone said, "I'll make them work otherwise, they'll be punished accordingly."

"You can't punish them just for they can't give you the taxes and have nothing to give you anything else." Seraphina almost gave him a cynical look, "what will happen when they wage a war against you?"

"I have an army of 500 men, they wouldn't even dare to reach me."

Demian resisted to order his guards to drag him to the dungeon. If he hadn't been under his nation, he would have already conquered his men. 500! He almost scoffed at it inwardly. 

He moved his eyes to his brother and it seemed Billard had the same thought going in his mind as he bore a grave face at Heartstone's words and his fists were clenched tightly. But he stayed calm and collected; however, it was different for Seraphina.

Her face was red with anger and as if she was burning from inside as Demian could feel her wrath from beside him. He was certain, if she wasn't here in this castle, she would have ended up beating him. He almost chuckled at the thought.

"Ho! Do you think 500 men can handle 5000 people?" Seraphina mocked.

"It doesn't matter if I have to do what needs to be done."

"I'm afraid, this conversation is becoming an unnecessary argument," Billard said growling at everyone as his powers intensified, warning them not to cross their limits. Demian felt Seraphina stiffening because of his brother's dominating aura and not only her but all of them had almost bent their heads down including Casian. Billard never liked to use his dominance over anyone but if needed he was a terrifying person. 

People would mistake him for a simple Prince who avoided war and troubles but he only wanted to use his powers to help people not to kill them.

"I believe princess Seraphina had already stated her points," Billard looked at her and Seraphina nodded as there was nothing more to say to that man.

The door opened as Master Valentine came into the room. Demian hadn't noticed when Valentine went out. As he came he bent over to reach Demian's ears as he whispered something making Demian to look at Heartstone. Casian's eyes were on him all the time and a devilish smirk played on his lips. Demian could feel he knew everything regarding what Master Valentine said.

"Princess Seraphina had a point, if all the commoners die, there wouldn't be anyone to rule over so a war must be avoided." Billard said and looked at Demian, "Prince Demian, do you have any other suggestions you would like to state?"

Demian looked at Heartstone and said, "I think, it's unfortunate that after all the time the region had come to this situation but I believe what Seraphina had said is justified. The commoners have nothing to give us and we certainly can't punish them for it." 

Demian looked at Billard, "I think, I would go with Princess Seraphina's suggestions as it would also avoid the war."

"Then, it is settled. Lord Heartstone, you may not unnecessarily raise the taxes for now, I believe it would be wise to not take any of the taxes. I will provide you with necessary supplies for your army in this time."

Heartstone nodded but he wasn't still satisfied with the decision.

As Billard finished, Demian announced, "I think, until this matter is settled, I would like to visit your territory."

*****

The conference ended and Lord Accoridin was already leaving, Demian didn't bother to see him off as Billard had already did it. Demian just looked at Seraphina and asked her to wait in her room and he'd come and see her. Seraphina didn't know she would be supported so much by Billard and Demian but she was happy that now, the poor people wouldn't be going through anymore exploitation. The fact that made her ponder was that Demian decided to visit Northwest, she wondered if he would take her along and if he didn't then what would she do here alone?

As she returned back to her chamber she found the teary eyed and red nosed Alonzo and irated Celia. She had almost turned back when she felt a tug on her elbow, she slowly turned to see Celia's darkened face with a smile on it.

"You have returned, my princess!" She all but threw Seraphina inside and closed the doors shut. Seraphina gulped and eyed Alonzo who looked at her as if she had betrayed him.

"You were not supposed to get out of your room, Your Highness. His Highness had given me this task with so much expectations and you ran away?!" He shrieked, Seraphina laughed awkwardly.

"We-Well, you see... I had a reason to do so..."

"We'd like to hear that." Celia said in a voice which clearly said that Seraphina wasn't getting any desserts for the rest of her life.

"It was the conference." She said.

"That was the reason why His Highness had asked us to keep you occupied!" Alonzo stated loudly and Seraphina looked at him then at Celia.

"They were going to decide that they would not collect taxes from the poor people for four months," She said and Alonzo tilted his head a little while Celia frowned.

"Isn't that good?" 

"But in return they would impose eight times the taxes on them after that period." She finished making Alonzo's jaw fall and Celia's eyes widen.

"But that's–"

"I know, these people don't know the suffering of the poor and weaker sections of the society and they don't even want to acknowledge them as a fellow species. All they see of them is the tools to create money they want them to work even if they're in their graves. These people who consider themselves as the Gods of this society need to open their eyes and learn to see that they are the disease for the society. Exploiting the poor till the point that they wouldn't have any other choice but death, it's... It's too cruel." Seraphina spoke and clenched her fists.

"Just because these people think they are strong they wage unnecessary wars not thinking of the damage they do to those who are not even a part of their whims. The powerless people who get massacred because of this twisted way of the nobles and powerful people, they don't deserve it. Nobody deserves it! Powerful ones are supposed to protect the weak instead of misusing their power." 

"If you think I did wrong by going to the conference room to fight for the rights of those people then you can be mad at me." 

She turned slightly as she heard no response from the two and saw Alonzo's wide teary eyes, he all but threw himself at Seraphina.

"I deeply apologize for ever being rude to you, my princess. You are a Goddess of Compassion, I will always follow you from now on, you not only protected His Highness but also those needy ones. You are really great!" He cried out making Seraphina cringe slightly as he called her a "Goddess of Compassion." What wooried her was that he said he would always follow her. 

She turned slightly to look at Celia who had turned away with her hand to her face, Seraphina felt slight warmth in her chest as Celia slowly turned and gave her a beautiful smile.