𝟔. 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄

y/n's pov.

miles decided it was best to just sleep for the night and then continue the drive by morning. although i wanted to get to los angeles quick, i complied nonetheless because i was very tired.

and also, i just cried my eyes out 'cause my whole ass leg just went through hell and back.

anyways, miles set up the two front seats so they reclined all the way back into a bed position.

i took off my blazer and boots, being careful of my injury i gently laid down.

"here." miles handed me his ripped up jacket to use as a blanket.

i gave him a shy smile and then pulled the material over me.

miles was.... confusing. to say the least.

his constant mood changes really did leave me terrified yet intrigued at the same time.

i don't know if i was overthinking it or if i'm just not used to meeting real people, but it's just a strange behavior to witness.

if his sweet side didn't come out so strong then i'd probably still consider him as a total dick. but, fortunately i've got to see how kind he can be.

every movement and gesture was genuine and it made my heart warm.

i didn't know how long it would last but i'm glad i've met someone that can help take care of me.

'cause it's pretty clear that i suck at doing that for myself.

i always screw up.

miles broke me out of my thoughts when he laid down on the seat besides me. his back was facing me and his breathing steadied.

what he did out there probably just saved my life.

i felt the need to thank him, and be my naturally curious self and ask questions.

suddenly i wasn't so tired anymore.

"miles?" i softly call out to the man.

his face spun around to reply to me but i guess he realized how attentive i was to him. he turned his whole body around to face me and hummed.

"thank you." i say, letting my words lead me on, "y'know... for saving me back there."

his breath hitches and he nods his head, "it's no problem, really."

silence fell over the both of us.

my mouth fell dry at the loss of words but then i decided to question him.

i didn't want to come off as nosy but i think he rightfully owes me some explanation for what had happened back there.

"miles, who were those men? and does that one guy hate you or something?"

"what do you mean?"

"i just..." i sighed, "i just want to know what happened."

"it's complicated." he told me, most likely expecting me to back out of the interest i was in but i just stared back at him with a patient face.

he heavily sighed and decided to explain things to me.

"i've always had trouble fitting in. and when i got into high school it had gotten worse, and i picked up bad habits and did stupid shit. anyhow, eventually, i ended up being expelled from the school. what a surprise. i didn't care at first but then my nanny took my sister away. and i was forbidden to see her anymore after that. she was all that i had left. our parents died a couple years before then and it was already hard enough."