Thought You Won? Well, Check, Mate

Почніть із самого початку

Sitting in complete silence, you allowed thoughts to flow in and out of your mind. It was as if your brain was still trying to process what happened at the Joestar's estate. You probably weren't going to get much sleep tonight. Damn you again, Dio!

~

~

🍵

~

There were no formal rules in place on how to set apart a "normal" social gathering and a "rich" one. But it only made sense that a high middle-class party would take place in a green, open field on a sunny day like this. The tables had food piled high, and were decorated with ribbons and streamers. Serving staff were wandering around aimlessly within the area while holding platters of sparkling drinks, which one could only assume was apple cider since all the guests were minors. The one in the center of this great display of wealth was of course, dear Elizabeth, drowning in all the attention and absolutely loving it. While you respectively greeted her, she didn't give you more than a few seconds of her attention before skipping over to the next handsome rich boy.

The other guests in general were exactly what you had expected. Elizabeth's equally popular and older friends talking, and in some cases verbally fighting over, some of the attractive boys . Although you might have recognized most of the girls' faces, they weren't the ones you willingly wasted your time talking to. And the boys in the crowd also lived up to your expectations. Ugly and rich or handsome but arrogant. For those few whose appearance you did spend some time lingering on, you quickly turned away knowing that if they attended this party, their personality would no doubt ruin their beauty. So with no one here that mattered to you, you stayed around the food table.

For quite some time nothing caught your attention- you simply drowned your worries away with apple cider. That was until you looked around the shrubbery near the perimeter of the field. Despite being trimmed to the most perfect shape possible, it wasn't the shrubs that interested you. It was the small table that only had two seats near them that did. The chairs were occupied by two boys, one looking much calmer than the other as he picked up a small wooden figurine and placed it on a new location on the board between them. Looking closer you realized that they were playing a games of chess. Around the same time you had spotted them, a few others noticed as well and a small crowd was beginning to form around them.

The losing side was obvious, the small and skinny frame of a boy was practically shaking in his boots as he hesitantly moved a piece. Not even before he could pull his hand away, the confident boy, a tall redhead with a piercing gaze, promptly moved a piece forward. The skinny kid with his hand still hovering on top of the board just let his hand drop, accepting his defeat peacefully. But there was something about the redhead you hated, it could've been his boastfulness or the way he looked at his opponent as if they were inferior, but you really wanted to knock him down a peg. The fact that he resembled a familiar blonde may have also played a role...

"Get better and maybe you can actually be a challenge next time, chump!" He roared at an unnecessarily high volume, but got awarded with the giggles of the kids around him.

That was it. You didn't waste another second standing around and advanced towards them. You even set your cup of apple cider down at a random table on the way there. That was how serious you were about this. You heard him sneer once more,

"Does anyone else want to try?" You couldn't help the sly smile that curled on your lips. He just made your job a whole lot easier.

You slipped through the crowd as they murmured about themselves and finally got close enough into the circle to be heard. "E-excuse me, I do!"

The guests parted to make way for the challenger. The boy's condescending grin quickly changed to a friendly, flirtatious smile when he realized it was only a girl trying to play against him.