Ch. 09: Courting Couple

Start from the beginning

But the real pre-wedding ceremony week courtship begins upon Sunday of the following day when Lord Edward joins the Creighton family at church, sitting with Lady Emily in their pew box. Of course, Lord Edward has his own sponsored pew box, but he usually sits there alone, except when Lord Kitt rarely joins him. And until Lord Edward and Lady Emily are wed, they may not even sit alone together within his pew box at Church. Her parents are seeing that she is well chaperoned to avoid any unfortunate talk that might damage Lady Emily's sterling reputation.

So Lord Edward will just have to put up with it—the chaperonage--if he wants to court and woo his lady this week. Though the nosegay he selected for and gave to Lady Emily before church is lovingly clasped by her throughout the worship service. She would not even put her nosegay of down when holding the hymnal in song. Lord Kitt had helped Lord Edward with the nosegay's floral selection for their floral meanings [(2)]—bluebells for constancy, and gillyflowers signaling bonds of affection amongst several mixed greens. So Lord Edward achieved just the right sentiments of enduring love and faithfulness, without overpowering Lady Emily with his fervent hopes for a successful and happy marriage to her.

However, Monday afternoon is indeed a very pleasant prospect, with Lord Edward and Lady Emily, her Mama, and Papa—as well as Lord Kitt—all converging upon Rundle & Bridges for their wedding ring set selection. Lord Edward also plans to give Lady Emily a Carlisle family heirloom engagement ring that will need to be sized for her small and delicate hands.

Lady Emily is both excited and thrilled to be wedding ring set shopping with her Lord Edward this day. So much so that her cousin and friend Lord Kitt admonishes her as they enter the jewelry store.

Lord Kittredge: "Now remember Emmy, set your eye to the quality of jewels and their settings that you view this day. Just because a ring or brooch is large, does not make it elegant and refined."

Lady Emily: "But Kitt, some larger pieces of jewelry are quite pretty. One only has to look at my Dear Mama to see that is so." They both turn to smile at Lady Creighton while observing her pearls and diamonds and ruby rings, earrings, brooch, and bracelets that she wears—for a mere afternoon shopping outing.

Lord Kittredge: "Indeed!" His eyes widen at the gauche display of jewelry worn by his maternal Aunt. All Lady Creighton would need to complete her wearing the full parure would be for her to don the matching tiara and necklace. And with no royal audience expected this afternoon, the brooch should have sufficed her.

Lord Edward: "So my Lady Emily, do you see a wedding ring set that tempts you?" Lord Edward [(3) above middle left] asks Lady Emily with a bit of trepidation, hoping to please her. Then she smiles charmingly cordially at him. And he sighs relievedly and believes that he is enjoying being engaged to Lady Emily. And it is a revelation to him that married couples—or soon to be in their case—can take such joy in the small things that they do together. Though selecting a wedding rings set together is very important.

Lady Emily: "Oh Lord Edward, there are so many lovely sets here. But perhaps I may try on my heirloom engagement ring that you promised to give me—to see which wedding ring set complements it the best?" She smiles warmly at him, her being eager to see the lovely heirloom ring that he has chosen for her. For the jeweler had taken her finger measurement without her trying the ring on yet.

Lord Edward: "Let us see if the jewelers have finished resizing your heirloom engagement ring to fit your delicate hand." And Lord Edward lifts Lady Emily's delicate hand to his lips for decorous kiss.

And since Lord Edward's Grandmother Elizabeth Fitzherbert Carlisle--who had bequeathed her engagement ring to him for his future bride--was a ring size bigger than Lady Emily's finger, the resizing was very necessary. Lord Edward raises an eye brow to the Clerk hovering in the back ground—who had no doubt heard Lord Edward's suggestion to Lady Emily—the Clerk then goes to do Lord Edward's bidding in retrieving the resized engagement ring.