Chapter Twenty: Demeanor

I peeked my head inside, all tables were turned and the decorations were ruined. Everything was gone into a pile of mess. Nikolas pushed the lamp down to the floor as it crashed into pieces, making me jump back and get his attention.

He turned to me with a sullen look, the tension I felt just by his gaze made me shiver. His knuckles bled with his cheek trickling blood from the cut above his cheekbone, "(Y/n)!" his demeanor suddenly changed after realizing it was me, his eyes sparkled with joy and stood up high.

I balled my hands to a fist, trying to hide my quivering palms and stepped inside hurriedly. "Please stop this, Nikolas," I leaned forward, caressing his cheek as his expression soften. He leaned his head closer, with his warm hand gently touching mine.

I stroke my fingers to the wound on his cheek and let go. I turned around to the servants that stood in the entrance with unease and bowed their head low, avoiding my gaze right at them. "Andrea, please get me the medical kit. The rest of you, you may go back to your duties." I announced with a small smile, "Right away, your highness." Andrea said with a curtsy, taking her leave with the others.

Nikolas pulled me towards him in the spur of the moment as our lips crashed together. I froze in place, feeling shocked from the sudden acting. I pulled him back, his eyes fluttering open with a chuckle. "No one can have you, (y/n). Only I can." he cast a closed-eyed smile, stroking the side of my face.

As I tend Nikolas's wound, he did nothing but looked at me sternly. It was as if I just hypnotized him and I couldn't help but feel tensed while tending his injuries. "Nikolas, have you seen Liv anywhere?" I asked, looking up at him as I broke the silence that swallowed us in the room.

"Why are you looking for that girl, (y/n)?" he raised a brow, asking me back without an answer. "Well, she hasn't been seen since yesterday." I replied back, "Isn't that great, my dearest (y/n)? Now no one can hurt you." Nikolas said without sympathy.

Those words felt ironic. Considering that he, himself had slapped me an hour ago and seems to be acting like nothing just happened. I rolled my eyes from the thoughts and continued busying myself with his wound.

"I'm...I'm sorry about what I did to you, my dearest (y/n). It's just...I thought..." Nikolas's eyes looked around, yearning for an answer to decipher but from his troubled expression, he doesn't seem to really know how to find the words.

"It's alright, Nikolas," I answered without meeting his gaze while I forced out a smile. "It's done." I said, stepping back and feeling proud of taking care of him. He darted his eyes back to me and frowned, Nikolas reached a hand out to touch my cheek and sighed to himself. "Look at your cheek! It's so red," Nikolas commented with surprise.

He stood up and opened the door from his studies, peeking out his head. "Imbeciles! Get my wife an ointment! Now!" he shouted outside while I hurried beside him, trying to push him back and calm him down.

Just a moment ago, I knew that he was tranquil but it seems that he snaps quite easily when he sees things that isn't to his liking. What a nightmare.

"Your...your royal highness! Prince Aleksander has asked for the ointment already, please take it." a maid trembled, holding the tiny glass up with both hands while bowing down her head. Nikolas snatched it with his hand, inspecting it with a naked eye and threw it away.

"I don't want that, it's too filthy. Get me another one!" Nikolas shooed her away, stepping back and slamming the door shut. He turned to look at me and I furrowed my brows, "That's rude, Nikolas. They may be servants but they're people like us." I snapped.

Nikolas adjusted his collar and went to the window, looking out at his garden. "But I only want what's best for you, my dearest (y/n)." he replied softly, the harsh tone of his voice long gone.

"You're going to rule this kingdom one day, and I fear that I might die with the people in your hands." I mumbled, not finding the strength to tell him out loud. Nikolas turned around to look at me, clearly hearing my thought.

"You are my wife, (y/n). So act like one, you will rule with me and die with me. Do you not remember the vows we made?" Nikolas stride forward with each word and shook both of my shoulders, nudging for an answer.

"You will not drown with those imbeciles, I promise you that my dearest (y/n). I will give you everything you need with a blink of an eye. But you cannot escape me, until death do us part," Nikolas answered his own question, both of his hands clawing down on my shoulders as I groan.

I pushed him away with all my force and looked down, nodding my head slowly. The smile on his face returned as he clasped his hands together, "Good, my dearest (y/n)," he chuckled. He went over to his desk, stepping on each glass shard as if it was nothing.

"Your parents are coming over for dinner later, (y/n)." Nikolas announced, making me look up with looming fear. "Why...why are they coming?" I asked as he looked at me at the corner of his eye, "Because I invited them, my dearest (y/n)."