Chapter 2: Humble Farmers

The sun beat down hard on Leonidas' neck as he hacked away at the weeds growing in the row of tomato plants. Sweat streamed down his forehead and down his nose, dripping down onto the hard, dry dirt that he worked in. The gold coast usually had a bit of a breeze going, but the wind withheld its relief today. Leonidas cared, but didn't complain. The work had to be done, breeze or no breeze. It was as simple as that. His sweat soaked tunic would be washed, and if he finished hoeing soon enough, he could ride down to the Strid River and swim around in it for a bit. Leonidas quickened his pace as he started on the next row. Only three more rows and this part would be finished. He could then move on to the small corn field.

After a few moments of working in silence, Leonidas heard footsteps. He knew it had to be Phillip. He would occasionally stop by and see how the crop was doing. Leonidas didn't care much for the interruptions, but Phillip had a way of showing benevolence to people while managing to be the poorest man in this part of Cirodiil. Leo couldn't help but be cordial to the man who made just as much of a difference as the emperor himself.

"Leo," came Phillip's voice.

"Phillip, how are you this morning?" Leonidas smiled as he wiped his forehead on his shoulder.

"Fine, just fine," Phillip smiled, "I came to see how your crop was holding up with the drought,"

"Surprisingly well," Leo shrugged, "I half expected them to be dead by now, but they are as strong and sturdy as the man who planted them," Leo said with somberly looking into the corn field.

"Ahh, yes. Your father was a good man. Cirodiil lost a good man when he passed on. He was always very kind to me. I'll never forget him,"

"Neither will I," Leo said looking down to the dirt. His father had died of a fever right after he had planted these crops. Leo still felt his absence.

"I'm sure you won't..." Phillip said quietly, "Oh, have you heard the news?"

"What news?"

"Altmer representatives have been seen heading to the Capital City. I heard they had a whole carriage of gifts for the Emperor. They're supposedly going to be making propositions of peace,"

"Really?" Leo asked raising an eyebrow. Throughout history, elves and man had it out for each other over the petty difference of beliefs. Leo often wondered what could change all of it. At the end of the day, both man and mer were mortal and capable of flaws great and small. He sometimes wondered if the lack of flaws was the only thing that could maintain peace, but of course, no such place or race exists

"Yeah, it'll be really nice. Tensions have been thick as mud for the past few years. It'd be nice to talk with a high elf without feeling like dung on the side of the road,"

"That's true my friend," Leo laughed, "I doubt true peace is achievable, though. Weeds will always grow," Leo shrugged.

"That is also true," Phillip nodded leaning on the fence, "To be honest with you, lad, I don't think I trust it,"

"What do you mean?" Leo asked continuing to hoe his way through the row.

"I don't know. It sounds too good to be true. Somethen's brewen'. I feel it in my bones. If peace was truly possible, it would have been made back during the Oblivion Crises,"

"Perhaps," Leo frowned as he remembered the childhood stories of the Hero of Kvatch his father had told him countless times. If he were honest, he didn't trust it either. The Altmer thought they were descendants of the divines. If they truly believed that, then they could probably justify anything they felt necessary, "Well, let's not lose hope," Leo smiled trying to keep things positive. If a storm came, there was always a chance it would blow to the south. If it came, well then, they'd have to bunker down until the storm passed. That was all they could do.

"Ah, you're right. We should do our best and leave the rest to the divines. Anyhow, I can't help but wonder what the next chapter of this world is. Peace is never permanent. It never lasts in this plain of Oblivion. Things never really balance out, and...well, what do I know of such things?" Phillip asked to no one in particular and shrugging his shoulders, "I'm just one man in big province that was part of a large continent that's just a small slice of Nirn. The most important thing to me now is where I'll get my next meal. I'm not exactly in a position to change the world,"

"Hah," Leo laughed a bit, "I'm not sure I completely agree, my friend. You may never change the course of history, but you've more than changed the lives of several men and women in these parts. You may not be the most prominent hero of all time, but you've made several lives better by being the best you could be. I'm not sure the Divines could ask for much more,"

"True, true," Phillip nodded scratching his chin, "Well, I should get moving. I've got things to do, places to go, and no time in which to do it," Phillip said shrugging and waving, "I'll see you later, Leo. Take care of yourself,"

"Until we meet again, Phillip," Leo smiled as he waved to his friend. As he continued on hoeing, his mind wandered. He really did wonder what the Altmer were doing in Cirodiil. He didn't believe peace was in the future. As Phillip said, peace isn't permanent in Tamriel. The past century and a half had been relatively good compared to the rest of history. If he were honest with himself, he felt it in his bones too.