Chapter One: Fugly

A woman sneak out of the palace, wearing a silver hoodie cape, running towards the direction of the forest, carrying a child in her arms. The baby was crying out loud and only her heard his wail. When she reached the center of the forest, she raised her right hand, and a portal to the human world was opened.

Before throwing the baby into the portal slowly absorbing him, she took one last glance to the child she carried, kissed his forehead, and said the last words to the innocent boy.

“I'm sorry for letting you leave in the world of the mortal, my son. The wind will take you to a kind person that will take care of you, until you reach the right age to return into our kingdom and become the next king. One day, the curse I created on your face will be removed, and by that time, all Mei will see you as the handsome prince-soon-to-be-king and replace your father on his throne. I love you, my son. Whatever your name in the mortal world, I would gladly accept it. May the strength you possess help you overcome all obstacles in life. And may you grow up as the kindest person on earth.”

The woman, still covered with silver hoodie cape, tried to contain her emotions for letting go of the child in her arms. It was her fault for entering the shaman's place. Her desperation to seek help leads to his son's ugliness. And she must follow what the shaman has said to send him to the mortal world and live the rest of his life, growing up without her. It was the only way to saved him from the eyes, and sharp words of the people of Mei. Ugliness is a curse to their kingdom, and that was their belief.

“One day, we'll see each other again, my son. I love you.”

Slowly, the woman let go of her baby in her hands, and the wind blew him inside the portal and suddenly vanished from her eyes.

...

Modern Day, La Pas, Ilohi City

“Thief! Thief! Help! Catch the thief!” Abraham's eardrums were about to explode from the voice of a woman shouting for help to catch the thief. He was sleeping soundly on one of the bench of the park and hear her screaming.

“Fugly! Fugly! Fugly!”

Added to his irritations were the voices of the children calling him fugly. Before, he doesn't know what fugly means, but lately he was able to realize that it was because of his face as ten times as old as an old grandparent.

“I know that. Step aside. I have to help someone. It breaks my eardrums.” Abraham shooed them away and listened again to the voice of the woman, to trace her direction.

He was born like that. He's not human, and he knew that. Not only that, but he's different, and it's absolutely true. His strength can be leveled up to the famous children superhero named Superman, but he doesn't like him. He likes Batman better.

“Help! My bag is stolen! Help!”

Finally, Abraham found the location, and in a snap of his finger, he disappeared in front of the children bullying his ugly face. His speed is the fastest compared to the iconic Flash, children loved to see in a television, or a movie.

“Gotcha!”

He appeared in front of the thief and grab the stolen bag without his knowing. The thief was unmovable, and in one flick of his finger, he was blown to the direction of the lady shouting the thief. The thief almost bumped into the woman's face, but Abraham arrive on time, and hold the thief's collar, then returned the bag he stole.

The woman said her thanks, but after seeing his face, she screamed out loud and run off. The same goes with the thief who saw him peeing on his pants.

“Why are they running away from me, huh? Am I really that ugly? I only look old! I'm not ugly!”

He pretended to shout, but when passersby notice him, they were all moved backward, carefully not to touch their bodies with him.

“Geez. Now, they're seeing me like a virus? Oh, come on. What have I done to deserve this?”

He just disappeared on that street and reappeared on the park he usually slept when he's tired or run away from the crowds.

“I've been looking for you the whole park, brother,” Isaac's voice happened to fill the space he was preparing in one of the bench. “Are you mad again because of those children bullying you?”

“No, I'm not. I helped someone return her stolen bag from the thief. Instead of thanking me, she just run away,” he started sharing his thought with a twelve years old boy.

Isaac was five years old back then, and he was twenty years old when he found him on the same spot they were sitting. He was an abandoned child. Poor little Isaac. He never got the chance to see his parents. Just like him, he was also an orphaned child. Abandoned in an orphanage, but no one appeared to redeem him.

“That's bad. They really see you as an ugly person because of your face, brother Abraham. A lot of people really hates ugly one. Good thing that were the opposite. You're ugly and I'm your handsome son. Wasn't it cool?”

Abraham laughs at Isaac's joke. The boy was right. He's the opposite of him. Isaac is cute and adorable. That's how he describes it. And he's not only consider him as his own son, but also his best friend.

“Here, I brought something for you. Two pieces of banana for good eyesight, one chicken adobo that we're going to share, and two pouches of rice. And of course, we cannot start eating without...”

“Mountain dew!”

Both were laughing at the park. They enjoyed each other's company. Isaac was his remedy for his sadness, stress, and unfair treatment of other people to him. He is older than him, but he talks like an adult, a personality he dearly loves on such adorable and cute kid.