Chapter 4 - V1

Club Festival, huh?

Normally, I wouldn't bat an eye about clubs. They'd interfere with my goals, after all. After hearing about the various clubs available in this school, however, I think checking out the festival wouldn't be bad.

I heard from the gossiping girls at lunch that a lot of physical sports and artistic hobbies were available as clubs here. Perhaps Horikita plans to join one?

As the end of the final class comes to a close, and as the bell signals its end, I stand up from my sit, subconsciously getting the attention of everyone once again. Without bearing them a single glance, I ask my neighbor in a very nonchalant manner.

"Plan on joining any clubs?"

She gracefully stands up as well, not moving from her position, but turning to face me.

"No, it is a waste of time. Don't tell me you plan on joining?"

"No such thing. Useless matters such as clubs do not interest me. I just plan to scope out the place, since I haven't explored the vicinity. Want to come with me?"

Sigh.... why does everyone have the urge to listen in on our conversation? Do you guys really have nothing to do but to make rumors?

"I'd accompany you, if that is what you want. You want my company, right?"

Oi! Oi! Since when did you learn to tease? I thought you were just a cold-hearted girl! Damn. How does one counter such a frontal attack? I cannot evade now, since we have such an audience. Let's see... if I remember correctly.... I read a certain slice of life novel that had this same interaction...

"Why wouldn't I? Unless you hate my existence that much. In which case, I'd just go alone. Don't bother."

Yes... if my calculations are correct, based on her tsundere based responses yesterday, she would vehemently try to fix the situation while making herself embarrassed in the process.

"I didn't decline your offer."

Oh ho? A cool yet short response? I didn't anticipate this, I expected more along the lines of blushing and stuttering. You are truly an interesting person, Horokita.

"Then, let's go."

I start to walk towards the door, purposefully trying to hid my smirk from her.

"I didn't say I'd accompany you either."

Tch. Stop being confusing woman. I feel my eyebrows furrow from confusion, but my smirk still held its place.

What's a good response to this? Think, brain.

"Well, then. Have a good day."

Yes, a direct goodbye to see her true intentions. If she truly didn't want my company, I'd respect that and call it a day. If she did, though, this is the last and final time she could fix the conversation.

I turn to my classmates, seeing them still staring at our conversation. Some mouths were agape, what's with the weird reactions, guys? Haven't you had more interactions than me? Don't tell me you guys haven't talked to beautiful girls too?

With one final glance to Horikita, I stop at the foot of the door and see her hurriedly trying to put everything in her bag. Huh... so she was coming after all.

Looking back, our conversation might result in her being embarrassed in front of the class. If any of our interactions this past day said anything about her, its that she upholds her pride more than anything else. How do fix this but at the same time not embarrass myself?

"You coming?"

Two words that seemed to snap her from her stupor. A good response that would stop her from saying something bad but at the same time get what she initially wanted. I hope I read the situation correctly.