Chapter 1

Claire

"Thank you very much, Mr. Evans. You won't regret it."

Mr. Evans' secretary guided me outside his office. As soon as I got inside the elevator, I punched the air as I shriek. Still can't believe that I closed the deal.

He is the regional manager of Transwel Printer Company Inc. Chicago branch. And our company is dying to have them as our client.

I was still on cloud nine, celebrating my success when the elevator door opens and I quickly composed myself. A tall man in his blue t-shirt, black ripped jeans, and a pair of brown combat boots entered. I don't dare to look up at him to see his face. I am not even sure if he saw me grooving here.

And if he did, gosh! It is so embarrassing!

I continuously tapped my left foot on the floor unconsciously. Why is this elevator so slow?

"You looked so tense."

My attention suddenly went to the man on my left. Now I looked at him. I couldn't see his face clearly because of his fedora hat and shades. He is smiling at me.

I cleared my throat. "I'm not. I'm just happy."

"Let me guess, you closed a deal?"

"Yes, I did. I just still can't believe that I did it. For all salesmen who are much better than me that we have in our company, our boss chose me to lead it."

I was planning to tell it first to my husband but I couldn't contain my excitement and I told it to a stranger beside me.

"Maybe you just underestimated yourself."

"Maybe." I shrugged.

"Do you-

Suddenly, my cellphone rang with a ringtone from the famous 1985 teen movie soundtrack. I have sung the lyrics as I searched it on my bag. When I saw the caller's name, I immediately press the answer button.

"Hello, love."

"Hi, honey! Where are you right now?" My husband's voice on the other line.

"Uhm, I'm in Chicago right now but I am heading back to the office. Why?"

I noticed that the guy beside me is glancing in my direction so I took a step away from him and I lowered my voice.

"My boss just told me that he has a business meeting and he needs me there."

"Oh, that's great! You better come with him."

"That's why I called. I just want to tell you that I will not be at home for three days. The meeting will take place in New Jersey."

My excitement vanished in a split second.

"Okay. Have a safe trip."

"Thank you. I love you, honey."

"I love you too," I answered in a dull voice and he ended the call.

I placed my cellphone back inside the bag and played the ring on my left ring finger. I noticed that the guy beside me is looking at my hands so I turned to him and he immediately looked away. I was about to say something to him when the elevator opens and he got out fast.

What's wrong with him?

~•~

"Congratulations!" A loud explosion greeted me as I entered the office, confetti's swaying in the air. I was greeted by my co-workers who are all happy for me and the company.