I find myself travelling back to you // S.B.

Start from the beginning

Now glaring at the sky, you wonder whether there wasn't a larger game afoot. One that had you reuniting with the childhood love that had left you a bereft teenager; it had you hoping you would not be left a heartbroken adult.

------

The pleasant weather was to continue, you thought to yourself as you sat down in the drawing room. Despite the calmness of the room; the sweet sound birdsong outside of your window, your stomach would not calm. Instead, it was threatening to make a mockery of your breakfast. A missive had arrived late yesterday evening from Lady Danbury explaining that Simon would indeed be calling on you for the promised tea.

Smoothing out your pale blue skirts, you wish desperately that you had brought something to keep you occupied as you wait for his imminent arrival. You curse the fact that you left your latest cross-stitch upstairs in your room, having worked on it late into the night. You could have used it to the pass the time to keep your mind busy.

"The Duke of Hastings," The butler announces, startling you slightly, stepping aside for Simon to stride into the room.

Simon smiles widely as he spots you standing by the table; he rushes over to you, reaching for your hand, placing a lingering kiss to the back of it before straightening. "(Y/N)," He greets, breathless as if he had rushed all the way over here.

"Simon," You answer, smiling just as widely.

Following his lead, you take a seat at the table, waiting for the tea service to be brought up.

"How is Lady Danbury?" You question, trying to fill the time for the service to arrive.

Simon laughs. "It seems she is on the warpath. Her grandson, Gareth, arrived this morning still out of sorts from the previous night."

"No!" You gasp, "He's barely of age!"

"That is what dear Lady Danbury was reminding poor Gareth as she swung her cane at him. I thought I better leave before her attention and her cane turned to me."

"A good decision to have made."

"Definitely," Simon agrees, "As I was leaving, Gareth was promising his grandmother not to touch another drop of alcohol again though I doubt that promise will stick."

"Poor Gareth," You lament, thinking of the times you had been on receiving end of a lecture from Lady Danbury. "She does love him so though."

"She does," Simon states, "I remember his birth. It feels so long ago."

You hum in agreement; wondering how quick time had flown by. Gareth was to be part of the next generation of society; he was to bring it into its future, especially if his grandmother had anything to say about it.

"How long have you been home?" You ask, pouring the both of you some tea now that it had arrived.

"I travelled to Clyvedon to settle things there before journeying down to London. I've been back in England just short of a month."

"Oh," You murmur, trying your best not to feel hurt that he hadn't actively sought you out. After all, it had been years since you had last spoken. No correspondence had been exchanged throughout the duration of his travels; Lady Danbury had been the one to update you on where Simon was in the world. He hadn't written you a single letter despite the long friendship that you still held dear. Instead, it had been an utter coincidence, a meeting in the streets that had proved to you he was still alive and breathing.

"I wanted to come see you," Simon states, feeling bad about the broken sound that had left your mouth just now. He wasn't one to talk so openly about his feelings, but he found himself needing to explain to you that he hadn't stopped thinking of you since he stepped foot on English soil.