"Hurry up!" Murphy pleaded, grabbing Emori's face in his hands. "Please, Emori. Emori, look at me."

Jackson turned and grabbed a syringe. "Adrenaline." He explained before plunging the needle into Emori's chest. 

But nothing happened. Emori remained still as the monitor continued flatlining. I buried my face into the side of my arm that was still extended, still applying pressure. Tears soaked my sleeve as I finally looked up. 

Murphy was watching Jackson with a confused expression, as if he didn't want to accept what had just happened. "What are you doing?" 

Having since stilled, Jackson opened his mouth, but no words came out. 

"Do something!" Murphy screamed, lunging forward. "COME ON! Do something! You're a doctor! Please."

I let out a choked sob as I dropped my hands from Emori's body, knowing there was nothing I, or anyone, could do at this point. 

"John." I whispered, my voice breaking as I took a step toward him. He looked to me for a moment, shaking his head. "No." He cried, still refusing to believe she was gone. "No."

Taking Emori's face into his hands once again, he let out a quiet cry. "Emori, please. Please." He begged through tears. "Please."

Tentatively, I reached out and put a gentle hand on his shoulder. In seconds, Murphy had spun around and pulled me into a bone crushing hug, his face buried in my hair. 

More tears flooded to my eyes as I wrapped my arms around him, holding onto him with all of my might. "I've got you." I assured, my watery eyes landing on Emori's body. "I've got you."

---

Silence had since settled across the room. 

Emori still laid on the table, no one having the willpower to do anything with her body. Miller and Jackson stood on one side of the room, clinging onto one another in sadness. 

Murphy and I sat on the other side. Our backs pressed against one of the supply cupboards, our hands intertwined.

I knew exactly the pain he was feeling right now. I knew it all too well. If I could provide him any comfort, I would. But right now, I didn't know what to say, I couldn't find the words. Because I was hurting too, and I wasn't sure how to make him feel better when I couldn't even make myself feel better. 

Emori had been one of my best friends, my sister. For six years on the Ring,  I got to know the person she was. I learned how vibrant and fun she was. How hard working and determined. How kind and gentle she could be. 

Our family was facing a great loss with the death of Emori. The world was too. 

My eyes had begun to droop slightly, the result of little sleep and an excess of emotional trauma, when Murphy stood. I startled slightly, my hand dropping from his own as he slowly made his way across the room. 

I remained seated for a moment, curiously watching as he stopped in front of the instrument tray. Jackson and Miller had both turned, they too watching as he now picked up a scalpel. 

My heart lurched into my chest as I pushed myself to my feet in a panic, terrified of what Murphy was about to do.

"John, what are you doing?" I demanded, already making my way toward him. 

He ignored me and turned to Jackson, holding up the blade. "Take out her mind drive. Please."

I felt like I was going to be sick. It was now blatantly obvious what Murphy wanted to do, and I knew that if he went through with it...he would die.

Jackson didn't waver. "Please what? Put her mind in your head? We know from Clarke and Josephine how that ends."

"Fine." Murphy gritted out. "I'll do it myself."

I stepped in his path, giving my head a firm shake. "John, no."

His eyes met mine, and he gave me a pleading look. "Avery, move."

"No!" I argued through tears. "I'm not letting you do this."

"Why?" He challenged, his voice barely a whisper. 

I let out a teary breath. "Because!" My voice came out a lot harsher than I had intended it to. "You're my brother, John. And I love you. And I can't lose you too. Please don't do this."

Murphy stared at me for a long moment, his own eyes filled with tears as he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Avery. But I have to do this."

"Remember what you told me after Bellamy died?" I challenged, sidestepping so he couldn't get around me. When Murphy didn't say anything, I continued. "You told me not to give up, that you would get me through it. So let me get you through this, please John."

He sniffled, reaching up to quickly wipe his eyes. "If you had the chance to see Bellamy again, if even for a few minutes...would you."

I was quiet for a moment, my heart physically hurting over this whole situation. "Yes." I couldn't lie, we all knew what my answer was going to be. 

Nodding, Murphy gave me a look that asked me to understand. "I have to do this, Avery."

With a final long stretch of eye contact, I let out a defeated breath. "Okay." I whispered, holding out my hand. "I'll do it."

He looked slightly taken aback at the full one-eighty degree turn I just took. But after a moment, he lightly placed the scalpel into my hand. 

Pushing my shoulders back in an attempt to keep my composure, I walked toward Emori. I was forced to bite down on the inside of my cheek to keep myself from letting out another sob as I lightly turned her onto her side. 

The previous scar from where the mind drive had first been put in was still visible, giving me a clear line to cut along. 

But as I raised a shaky hand to begin, someone's hand caught my own. "I've got it."

I turned to look at Jackson, he was watching me with gentle eyes as he lightly took the scalpel from my hands. I gave him a grateful nod as I reached up and used my sleeve to wipe the tears in my eyes. 

As I stepped away from Emori, Murphy wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his side as he silently cried. 

I knew as I laid my head against his shoulder, that this would be one of the last times John Murphy and I interacted. Within a matter of hours, he would be brain dead and yet another member of our family would be gone. I barely wanted to think about it- I couldn't. 

So instead, I just closed my eyes as warm tears rolled down my cheeks. I was just about done with this life. 

-an-

UGH so many sad scenes to write 

but guys, oh my god, we're on the last episode!!

im trying not to cry because I seriously cannot believe we're almost done :(

any guesses on what is going to happen?

hope you all enjoyed!

-maddy xoxo