Part 9

Aida Zade washed her face and refused to look at the mirror above her. She kept her eyes closed and dried her face.

She didn't want to think about her face, the weak woman she would find in her eyes. She didn't want to look at the mirror and see the two young women who were there to make sure she didn't plummet into the faucet face first and die.

The two women who had been feeding her, bathing her, putting her in a wheelchair and pushing the damn chair around for her damn evening walks.

She tried not to hate them, but she had not spoken to them other than "yes" "no" or " no its not to rough" though they had tried to speak to her " Did you have a man or a male back home? Surely you do, you're so beautiful anyone would want to be with you."

She hadn't wanted to think about him, it hurt so much to so much as say his name.

Remembering his beautiful face, his gri , his barking laughter, his sweet sweet smiles crushed her.

It crumpled her heart like paper and only smoothened it so it could be cut into pieces and glued back together.

She still wasn't sure if her face had crumpled and tears had really fallen off her face or if she had just stared at them brokenly.

Apparently, they had some clue, and never broached the subject again. Though they had tried others which had been as useless as the ones before.

Eventually, they had given up on her, though they smiled at her as soon as they came to her room or left her alone with Bhagra.

Said woman was currently checking her pulse to see if she was dead or just laying around motionlessly. She didn't know what happened in between drying up her face and coming reaching the old woman's rooms.

She had lost focus again, she had been doing that often now.

Seven months after the fateful day of her escape from Meave's dungeons Aida had found that she hadn't really escaped it at all.

Her mind tended to relive those days she spent with whippings and the smell of burnt flesh as the main highlights of her days.

Of course she wondered if she would ever see her mate again.

Would she be stuck in the stupid wheelchair? Would she still be so broken he wouldn't want her anymore? Would she ever function enough and love her life enough to be out of the broken shell she was?

The tawny-eyed male had given her hope that lasted for the entirety of escaping Meave's dungeons, she wished they would see each other again, so she could get on her knees and thank him.

A sharp sting of pain on her thigh brought her back to her physical body.

Bhaghra looked furious, fan-fucking-tastic, "come back to the present girl , i dont care if you were tortured for 7years , you can do better than this, surely you have more will to live, no one wants to die Zade"

She did. Aida Zade the spymaster who people whispered about in bars as if she was right there, the one who had the balls to call an ancient creature a tortoise for being too slow to catch her had finally broken.

They say she would never break, if only if they had seen her now

Bhaghra must have had a lot of experience with shits like her but she just continued eating her ear off.

" People only think they do, put someone in a storming ocean and see how they struggle to survive, how they fight until they no longer can"

"that is us , human, fae, whatnot, in the end when death is looming above us we find we are all the same,

Soldiers would not fight as they do if we were not gifted with the will to survive"

" We all have the things we need, the truly precious things every single one of us has it from the moment we were born"

"so what are you telling I do?" her voice came out hoarse, she hadn't talked since she woke up

Bhaghra's face was gentle, and her eyes held such sorrow Aida felt her own chest cracking.

" you mourn and you pick up the pieces to make yourself some semblance of a woman"