Paxton's New Buffers

It was Spring on the Island. The winter time was just recently over and the engines were preparing for the sunny, busy days again.

(Edward and Percy are pulling trucks and coaches.)

Lots of work was awaited. Bulgy the Double Decker Vegetable Stand Bus was waiting for the vegetables to be sprouted so that his business would be booming for the busy season before him.

Trevor was sawing wood for new building materials for new holiday attractions for children. "Oh, I love to help make children happy." he said, remembering the many times he had given children rides at the vicarage fetes and by the seaside.

(The Vicar is smiling at Trevor's work.)

Up at Ffarquhar Quarry, Paxton was shunting trucks of stone for Thomas to take to Brendam Docks.

(Mavis is seen shunting trucks under the hopper.)

"Here you are, Thomas. The last load." said Paxton cheerfully.

"Thank you, Paxton." whistled Thomas and he set off with the heavy and very Troublesome Trucks.

Paxton soon had to depart the Quarry too. He set off to find more work at the Sodor Dieselworks but he ran straight into trouble.

"Look out!" came a frightened whistle.

Paxton looked ahead and saw in horror that Thomas' quarry trucks were on a runaway from the top of a hill. The trucks laughed as they saw Paxton.

"FASTER! FASTER!" they yelled.

Paxton quickly reversed. He saw a siding and slid into it. But the signalman had seen the trucks coming and he had set the points for the trucks to come to a runaway stop into the siding Paxton was in. Paxton was trapped and he shut his eyes.

The trucks smashed straight into Paxton. Paxton was battered between the trucks and the buffers he had pressed up against. The buffers broke and Paxton was shoved off the rails. And the trucks were broken and the stone was everywhere.

Thomas reversed down and found Paxton in a terrible mess.

"Paxton! Are you alright?" cried Thomas.

"Yes, Thomas." coughed Paxton, "Just an uncomfortable biffing, that's all."

But Thomas saw worse than that. Paxton's back bufferbeam had broken like the siding buffers and his his front buffers were smashed and crushed by the broken trucks and the heavy stone.

"You'll need repairs at the Dieselworks, Paxton." sighed Thomas. He felt terrible.

"Don't worry, Thomas." smiled Paxton cheerily, "I'll be back to normal in no time at all and as good as new."

Thomas smiled. Soon Paxton was freed and loaded onto a flatbed and Thomas pulled him to the Dieselworks.

Den and Dart were working there when they arrived.

"Paxton, what on earth?" cried Den.

"What he means is, what has happened to you?" added Dart in a very concerned tone.

"My fault." sighed Thomas, "My trucks ran away and he was hit in the sidings."

"Just a couple of dents and my buffers." smiled Paxton, "Nothing serious, guys."

Den and Dart were relieved that Paxton wasn't at all disheartened or devastated by his ordeal and so they quickly set to work.

"New bufferbeams." said Den.

"And workmen to sort out those dents." added Dart.

Thomas and Paxton entertained each other with jokes as Den and Dart did their repair work. The workmen hammered and straightened out the dents, and the new bufferbeams were prepared.

At long last, Paton was repaired and was fitted with the new bufferbeams. They looked splendid.

"Oh thank you, Den and Dart!" he exclaimed happily.

"You will be the finest looking diesel in the Sheds tonight." smiled Den.

"What he means is, you'll put everyone else's buffers to shame." added Dart.

Thomas was pleased for his friend, but he still felt bad for causing Paxton's accident.

Later, Paxton and Thomas collected more stone to take to the Docks. Paxton's buffers still looked shiny and grand.

Paxton was at the head of the train. Thomas was the back engine. He wanted to make Paxton happier so that everyone could see his new shiny buffers.

They set off down the line.

(They pass Gordon who looks amazed at the buffers.

Paxton was joyous at the sight that everyone gave when they passed him. Soon they arrived at the Docks.

Paxton's buffers were a sight for many to admire.

(Stephen and Sir Robert Norramby pass by with the Fat Controller on board.)

The Fat Controller stepped off a coach and approached them.

"Paxton, you do look splendid."

"Thank you, sir." said Paxton.

"However, this delivery of stone is late." added the Fat Controller.

"I'm sorry, sir." said Thomas.

"Tomorrow, the shipping order for stone will increase due to the confusion and delay that has occurred here today." continued the Fat Controller. "Thomas, you will collect more stone all day at Ffarquhar Quarry tomorrow. You will have a back engine to ensure there will be no more accidents. And Paxton, you will get stone from the Blue Mountain Quarry too and also have a back engine. I am counting on you both to do a Really Useful day's work tomorrow."

"Yes sir." said the two engines. But Thomas was worried he would cause more damage.

"Don't worry, Thomas." smiled Paxton, "Nothing will go wrong."

Paxton was right. He and Thomas with the help of their friends kept the Troublesome Trucks in order the next day as they caught up with the increased stone deliveries. Paxton biffed the trucks sternly with his new buffers and they settled down and soon the day's work was done.

The Fat Controller was pleased.

"Thank you, for being a good friend and not being cross, Paxton." said Thomas happily.

"No buffer, Thomas." chuckled Paxton, "No buffer!"

And the two friends laughed.

(The End! Of Series 1! Series 2 coming soon!)