chapter twenty-two | impulse

Start from the beginning

She met your dad whilst they were at community college, so was immensely proud for you to go to a proper college in the city. You make a mental note to invite her round in the spring. Maybe exploit her cleaning and cooking skills, but the trip made you realise how much you needed her. You'd never admit that to her face though. Then they'd be right about one more thing in your life.

"Let's hope a boy didn't tear away your eyes from those books", you dad casually says. You choke on your meal, surprised at his comment.

"You owe me $5 Robert", you mum says extending her hand. She giggles as your dad pulls out a crinkled note from the pockets of his jeans.

"Both you ladies are going to make me skint before I'm able to retire. No more bets Maria until the New Year", slamming the note in her palm.

"Uhm, what was the bet for?", your mouth agape at the exchange between you parents, acting like they were damn teenage boys.

"He bet that there would be no boy, and I said there would be. I know you too well, Janet, your reaction gave it away. So, what's his name?"

"Are you having safe sex? He's not pressuring you to do anything? I'll kill him if he's only seeing you for the one thing boys that age think about", your dad adding on to your mum's question.

You blink a couple of times, unsure of how to react or process what on earth was happening.

"You are not knowing his name", knowing that she'll try find him on Facebook, and he'll accept the friend request, being completely oblivious. And then your parents will suddenly find out everything.

"And yes, we are. We talk about what we're doing, and respects my decisions on everything. That's all you'll know about him", getting up and clearing the table, indicating that this particular conversation was over.

"Come on, stop being a prude!", your dad calling up the stairs as you finish.

"Shut up Robert, you never know how to talk to a woman."

"At least I'm trying Maria."

"Oh please, Abraham Lincoln could speak better to that girl than you."

- - - -

A week had passed before it finally rolled around to Christmas Eve. You had been between your desk, your phone and town. You bit your lip as you sent a text to Sebastian, nervous for his reply.

i don't think your christmas girl will arrive in time :/

I thought Chris would send me a stripper, but this is even better

stupid autocorrect

your gift

Oh

That's okay. Knowing you're mine is the best gift of all time

It tops 1999

what did you get christmas 1999 then?

My first lightsaber of course