₀₀₈. hate to break it to you pt. 1

the end scene can be read romantically or platonically, but that's up to you! thanks for reading. 

AS TREY HAD PROMISED, there was a large clearing of chestnut trees right behind the school's botanical garden. After lunch, Yuu had returned Noibat to his ball in a secluded area. He always got drowsy in the afternoon, so she assumed Fletchling alone would be right for the job. She didn't oppose helping Ace, so she stayed.

It was midday and the sunlight filtered through the trees, illuminating the piles of chestnuts that were scattered along the forest floor. The thicket was dense but she could still see the apple trees in the distance and wondered if they were free for the taking. She could probably bake something out of those for the rest of her team, if she had the right ingredients.

"Alright enough gawking, let's start picking! If we collect all this, then it's all-you-can-eat Mont Blanc tarts for us!" Grim cackled, reaching out to gather one.

"Wait, I don't think you should touch—"

"Let's hurry and— Ouch!" He instantly recoiled, whipping around to face her. "Gah! Yuu, the chestnut's thorns dug into my paw pads!"

She crouched down to examine his paw. "You're not hurt anywhere, right?"

Deuce nudged one of them with his shoe. "Looks like it'll be impossible for us to pick them up with your bare hands. It'll also be good to get a bucket or something to put them all in."

"Maybe we can find all that in the botanical garden."

"Let's go see, then."

It wasn't like they had to walk very far, since the botanical gardens were only a couple of paces away. The structure was absolutely huge, perhaps even larger than the Ramshackle building itself. The vegetation was vivid and colorful, the type that could only be found in tropical areas like the Alola Region. Yuu, who had been accustomed to subzero temperatures, immediately noticed the spike in temperature.

"Whoa, it looks even bigger on the inside," Ace commented, looking around the area. There were two paths that branched off from the main path, crossing over a flowing stream on each side.

"We should be able to find everything we need here. Should we split up and look?" Deuce suggested.